Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

String length

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ollieken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: String length Reply with quote

L P Reedy Thank you for reply ( post deleted ) string length from
nut to bridge I moved it from 325 to 328-9 & moved the post back 4mm
from the foot that is what it needed play`s easy quick response & way more mellow. Hope Lusiffer will stay that way for a while .

LP sent you a Pm message Thank you Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that helped. Changing the string length probably didn't, but sometimes that kind of change of sound post position works (not always). Incidentally, I have noticed that, in rare cases I think, there is a sweet spot for the post that is independent of the bridge position.
ollieken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: String length Reply with quote

L. P. Post or string length one or the other helped I Believe you are right
about just the right spot thank you Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you might improve the sound further by adjusting the afterlength by shortening/lengthening the tailpiece gut to keep that 1:6 relationship. If using 329, then afterlength should be still right about 55mm. (54.8 actually). This allows a coupling relationship of the sinewaves (especially for open strings) between the entire string and the afterlength. On some violins, you may find that if the open strings don't resonate well, it could be the afterlength that is at issue. Its the same reason the D played on the A string resonates strongly with the undamped open D an octave below. (same with the other open strings). But now I'm rambling.......

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ollieken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: after length Reply with quote

Hello Dave
I changed the tail string put on a new one the length was 60 mm
I think it helped hard to tell until it settles down . I made it a little short as it will Maybe stretch a bit it is worth a try (Threaded Plastic tail string )
Thank you for the reply Ken
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its usually more than just one thing. But every little tweak helps.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: