Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

blotchy varnish marks on the spruce top

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg M

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: blotchy varnish marks on the spruce top Reply with quote

I could use some advise on this .My violin is finished and I removed the fingerboard to start the finishing. I put 2 coats of the gelatin /water mixture. Then 2 coats of a primer and sanded lightly with 1500 grit paper in between all 4 coats. I bought these products from a violin shop in Canada. The varnish was a red/brown colour . It came out nice for the hardwood parts of the violin , but on the spruce top 2 small areas came out blotchy that I don't like. I have put 2 coats of the coloured varnish on the violin and stopped. With further coats to go on will it blend in , or should I try to fix those blotchy spots now. thanks
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert, but I'll jump in anyway. It sounds as though the blotchy spots were not adequately sealed. That could be due to more absorption of the sealers in those spots (I don't know the reason) or even possibly overly ambitious sanding. That seems unlikely at 1500 grit, but maybe not impossible.

It is possible that the colored varnish has completed the sealing, so additional coats may improve the appearance some. I would try a third coat on a small area, being ready with a solvent laden paper towel to remove the fresh varnish if it looks worse.

I can relate because I recently changed out 1/2 of a new belly because of defects uncovered in the carving. My best match was a board that I had stored for many years. The older wood was more absorptive than the newer, so half the belly is a little bit splotchy. Only visible up close.
Greg M

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: blotchy varnish Reply with quote

thanks L.P . I will try that because I only have 2 coats of coloured varnish on it
now and perhaps it will darken up the noticeable areas.
Rick M

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an article or post from Michael Darnton, I picked up on the notion of repeating that ground coat until there were no more spots that dried more quickly than the others. He was talking about using shellac, but the same would apply with what you're using. There were places that sealed with a couple of coats and others that seemed to want 4 or 5.

As LP Reedy mentioned, I also managed to sand through in a couple of places without realizing it. The thin spots were immediately obvious, so I was able to essentially start over. Not much to lose in attempting a 3rd coat to see if the colour starts to blend, but......not much help otherwise......
kjb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is glue residue you can check with a cheap black like ( battery operated )

scrape your glue don't wash
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: