Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glycerin for purling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kubasa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Glycerin for purling Reply with quote

I have been making a pile of purfling to hopefully last me the next several years. I tried a few different methods but Michael Darnton's method was the very best - thank you Michael.

The question I'm running into now is what kind of glycerin to paint the purfling solution with? I asked at my local drug store and I swear security was going to storm the place at any minute. There were two questions about what I was using it for and I would need to show ID. I guess I'm out of the loop as to what bad stuff this could be used for.....They relented that they could order some but it was almost $30 for 100ml. That seemed very pricey to me. I can buy large bottles on Amazon for less than that but it is listed as vegetable glycerin. According to Google, glycerin without the vegetable label can be made from any oil or fat source. For those of you that have used glycerin for purfling, do I need the "pure" drug store variety or will vegetable glycerin from Amazon work? I dislike ordering from Amazon but at the same time, my local store's price is very high.

Thanks,
James
kubasa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up finding "pure" glycerin from the other drug store in town for a much, much more reasonable price. I'm still wondering if there would be any difference if I used vegetable glycerin or not? I'm thinking probably not. Seems like the only difference is that vegetable glycerin is for folks who do not want non plant based fats used as a source.
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glycerin is glycerin. and Cornhuskers' Lotion is also glycerin. I'm not sure how pure, but I think it is close to 100%.
kjb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can make it cheap https://www.google.com/search?q=what+can+you+make+from+glycerin&oq=what+can+you+make+from+glycerin+&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.8127j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
kubasa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I try to make everything myself but I never even thought about making it. I did find some but I might have to try making my own next time - thanks!

James
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeze--where do you live? This is like the least-dangerous thing in the store! In every drug store I've ever been in, it's in the same department as the rubbing alcohol, witch hazel, and hydrogen peroxide, right there in a 4-ounce bottle, often a flat dark blue plastic bottle, but too expensive. However, you only use a couple of drops at a time---I still am using a bottle I bought in around 1990.
kubasa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in northern Minnesota. I honestly think the clerk in the pharmacy didn't hear me correctly based on her response. Kind of weird and caught me by surprise. The other drug store send me to the cosmetic and skin care area. If 4 ounces has lasted you that long, I should be set with the 6 ounces I picked up!
Rick M

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
my nitro-glycerine runs a little on the expensive side per ounce, maybe that's what she meant?!?
byacey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an 8 ounce bottle at a wine and spirit making store; they use it to thicken liqueurs.
kubasa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick M wrote:
Laughing
my nitro-glycerine runs a little on the expensive side per ounce, maybe that's what she meant?!?

I missed this post. Sometimes I get the replies and sometimes I don't. Yes, it makes me wonder if that's what she was looking at!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: