Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About copying bows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazar74

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: About copying bows Reply with quote

Hello again friends of this forum. I would like to ask if it is appropriate to copy a bow from a poster or from a photo. How close to the reality has someone to get in order to name his work a "copy"? I can find all the dimensions from scaling photos but I cannot guess the frog width. Also, many books have 1:1 photos and other are not in scale. I was thinking also why there are no technical drawings for bows as they are for violins (like Strad posters)?
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that it matters...
I see dozens of bows that are labelled "Tourte" ... not even noted as a copy... some are good bows others not so good.

Millions of violins are labelled copt of Stradivarius.... most are not even close to being a copy.

But if you are going to sell the bow beware that it may be considered counterfeit...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/jan/04/paypal-buyer-destroys-violin
Also, if it is a copy, you would have to name the maker being copied and as soon as do do you are using their name without approval.

I'd just make the bow using whatever standard you wish and put your own name on it.... you might use words such as "Inspired by".

But I am not a lawyer, so take my thoughts with a heap of salt... they are just my opinions.

Cheers, Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: