Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

post position effects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: post position effects Reply with quote

Lots of info on the effects of moving a sound post ... but all that is assuming the post is vertical.
What happens if just the base or just the top of the post is moved... either N, S E or W? ... and that is assuming the fit is ajusted accordingly
Thoughts?
Cheers... Mat
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that experienced or competent, but I think the effects will be different in different instruments. I don't see how you can take a post that fits and refit it at an angle without changing the position significantly. You would almost certainly have to make a new post for every possibility, which would add another variable. I suspect also that the graduations of the back and belly will affect the outcomes. If you do the testing, please report.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree... each variable will need a new fit... and likely a new post... that's why I was hoping someone had already done some teating... might as well learen from others:)
Cheers, Mat
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, but I doubt anyone has done much. Most "experts" contend that the post must be vertical. The one or two that have said "not always" have not said when or why, to my knowledge. I have enough trouble just getting it close to vertical.
kubasa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always tried to be as vertical as possible but the thought it interesting. I'm assuming, of course, that the angle where the post meets the top would be adjusted to match the slope of the top. I've seen a couple posts set in at angles that really messed up the top because it either wasn't cut right to begin with or it was set badly. I know that's not the case or discussion here but that was the first thing that came to mind.

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: