Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor top wood.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph Leahy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Poor top wood. Reply with quote

I have a piece of Euwopean Spruce that was thrown in as a bonus when I bought some maple a couple of years ago. Supposed to be AAA wood per the dealer.

Density is high at .46 and there is a bit of runout so it's not in the range of what I would normally use and is not AAA wood.

I carved a top from the piece. I am at a point where I would normally stop based on flexibility but the top is still 3.2-3.5 mm thick and weights 88 gm with the f holes cut and no bass bar.

I'm thinking that this is one for the fire but am curious as to what is causing the wood to be flexible at this thickness and weight.

Would you attribute this mainly to density, runout or just lack of stiffness and poor wood overall?

Thanks.
Joe
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it flexible longitudinally, or just cross grain? I have used Sitka spruce that was that dense and usually with a little runout with what I consider to be acceptable results. Your opinion might be different, but one of my best fiddles has severely off-quarter top grain, which is supposed to make it very flexible cross grain. Not European, though. If it were mine, I would continue to thin to a weight in the low 70's before giving up.
Joseph Leahy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More flexible cross grain. I’m taking the thickness down and going to try the top on this fiddle but I don’t think I’ll get the weight below the low 80’s. Except for the extra weight the wood feels pretty good.
DonLeister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking you'll gain more firsthand knowledge if you keep working with it and take notes on the archings, weight and all, than if you try to predict outcomes.
I just made a top that weighs 74gms and is a lot of 2.5 mm , 3.1 in the post area.
Dave Slight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Poor top wood. Reply with quote

Joseph Leahy wrote:
I have a piece of European Spruce that was thrown in as a bonus when I bought some maple a couple of years ago. Supposed to be AAA wood per the dealer.

Density is high at .46 and there is a bit of run-out, so it's not in the range of what I would normally use and is not AAA wood.

Thanks.
Joe

I would always ignore the rating system used by dealers, there is no requirement by law for it to meet any agreed standard. Therefore, one dealer's AAA could be another ones A.
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking in late here, if I were doing it, I would finish the violin and see what happens. I have often been surprised at how well wood that's "bad" can work and have learned a lot from finishing those instruments. One of the best guitars I made, by common acclaim, was a quick test for a new model so I grabbed a top with wide grain, off quarter, that I could actually roll up into a four-inch tube. So there. :-) It made me think that maybe lateral stiffness wasn't that important, and with a violin certainly a lot of that comes from the arching shape anyway. And in my own mental model a lot of sideways rocking is a good thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: