Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

joining the back
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulerias1981

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got anywhere with the maple jointing yet. I tried a little bit again with no sucess. I have concluded that maybe its related to sharpness. The blade FEELS sharp, but the finest grit stone I'm using is 650 or so. So I am buying some finer stones. I have concluded this for a couple of reasons. One is, obviously I'm not joining correctly yet. Not getting the edges to meet perfectly. And two, I have to use a lot of downward and foward pressure to make a cut, even on the finest setting. So this is why I believe I need to sharpen with a finer grit, and even hit it with a strop.
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if this is the only real problem our having, you may wish to take several tops and backs to a cabinet maker and have them run on the jointer....you could do several in about a half hour, a nice guy would charge you 20 bucks..it will make for perfect seems....or just do what i do.....cheat.....either use one peice or purfling up the center seem....now even if i get a good joint i like the purfeld center seem, i like the look, but i'm sure its not considerd kosher
Jack H.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget about the strop.
If you use an 8000 grit ceramic stone the strop will just ruin it.
jethro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: to all joining with much difficulty-read this !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

I have been hacking away at the joining problem......
have been doing tops-they plane easily. I had a back to do so I tried
that. Here is what I did...
hand planned the back faces dead flat.
ran through elecctric jointer -- just to help establish 90 degree at joint.
Adjusted hand plane to cut the see through shaving. Made about 5 cuts
like this from ene to end trying to keep pressure on plane even the whole
way. Then reised blade to give lighter cut- about 2 swipes each plate.
Put them up to floodlight. allmost perfect- manualy touched up with plane
untill FLAT and no light across whole length. (about 1 hour work so far..)
Heated joints to about 150 F. Quickly slopped on glue and rubbed about
4 strokes about 1 inch long each and centered surfaces and backed off.
I watched the joint....... after about 20-30 secconds -as I watched--
the ends started to open up- I could see light through them about 2 inches
inboard with flashlight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My joint was PERFECT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I grabbed plate and removed it and wiped it clean on both surfaces.
I a few minuites when dryed out I took the plane and took a SMALLLLLLL
cut off each in about the center 80 percent and tried to make the crack
uniformly fattest in center. Not much - just enough to see some light in
the center. Re heated- reglued.....
THIS TIME..... it felt different !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I put them together and rubbed..... as I rubbed I could feel the sticking
getting harder every few secconds. I could SEE it had stuck initialy
at the ends-the high spots..... after the rubbinnnng stopped the ends
fused... holding pressure on the joint... while over the next 30 secconds
the central "crack" area swelled out to mee each other while the edges
Clamped them inward. And like magic the joint was zippered up all the
way across !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The spruce did not seem to demand the "spring" in the middle but the
hard maple REALLY needed it to work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the end cracks must be due to end effects and the water adsorption and resulting uneven swelling !

How about that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Jointing plates Reply with quote

I seem to be having some success with my 14" "Hercules" jointing the back pieces, especially since paying a lot more attention to the squareness of the cutting edge and resurfacing the sole. But...

Well, I thought I had a really nice joint this week. After cutting out the rough back outline, I began shaping the back, and as I was nearing my 5mm mark around the edges heard a small "pop" and discovered the joint had seperated at the button, about an inch overall, and just enough to see daylight. Didn't realize that it had any spring in it, don't recall any when I put this together, although I did use clamps. So, I took a very sharp pallet knive and tried to take it apart, and was unable to make any headway. Finally I gave it a sharp knock on the bench, and the two halfs seperated very cleanly. Unfortunately, by the time I got the halves planed and ready to glue again, I lost too much wood for this project, so I went ahead glued it back together and saved it for a future, undersized violin. I was surprised how cleanly it seperated. I couldn't force the two halves apart, not with wedges, bending, brute force, etc, but just a good sharp tap on the bench did the trick. Glad I was not using expensive wood this time out.

My problem seems to be that last inch or two on each end of the wood stock. I can get a nice seam except at the ends where I get a small gap about 1 to 1.5 inches from the ends of the lumber. Usually, its outside the pattern, so no problem, it gets cut off anyway. Maybe I should be adding some sort of splint down the middle between the two halfs extending my working surface area by several inches off the end of the blanks.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
violinarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this next time you do a joint, heat it first, then joint it, and then see how much movement you get.

We were taught in wood working class that 'wood always moves', and it would seem to me that your wood may not have been at equilibrium with the surrounding environment.

When you do one of these joints, you glue them up pretty fast to avoid this movement.
bulerias1981

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in a woodworker magazine that if the joint breaks cleanly even, the fault can be appointed to the glue failing. Perhaps it was too light or too thin of a mixture. If the halves break apart and the wood fractures, then the glue should be ruled out for the weakest link.
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jointing plates Reply with quote

Dave Chandler wrote:
I seem to be having some success with my 14" Well, I thought I had a really nice joint this week. After cutting out the rough back outline, I began shaping the back, and as I was nearing my 5mm mark around the edges heard a small "pop" and discovered the joint had seperated at the button, about an inch overall, and just enough to see daylight. Didn't realize that it had any spring in it, don't recall any when I put this together, although I did use clamps.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record...or come off as grouchy (and I'm not picking on you, Dave; this is a "general" statement. I'm just quoting you so that I can address a specific point), but I've mentioned several times, and from the beginning of these threads on joining, that I employ a sprung joint (a very, very small; tiny; gap in the center). Y’all are actually reading these threads (both of the joining threads), right?? It’s certainly not the only method that can be used to accomplish the job, but is an effective one.

As long as the joint is sound (glue and joint properly prepared), a conservative spring joint avoids (prevents) the separations one can get at the ends of the plates (like at the button) later on. It doesn't cause them... and as was mentioned by another recent poster, it allows the swelling caused by the application of glue to work for you, rather than against you.

To gain the most working space in the material, the gap must be an even taper from end to end. The method works as well in the spruce as it does in the maple.

Rather than comment in two or three threads about all this… I'll put it all on this one... I’m really curious about the reasons for all the talk of “sawed joints”, "cheats" and shortcuts. It’s really simple. Joining plates may not be all that easy at first, but it's a basic, required skill (unless you want to use one piece backs and tops). This tool skill translates across the entire craft (flattening plates, flattening ribs sets, preparing fingerboard blanks and glue surfaces, etc.). With all the effort that is required to make an instrument, it seems to me that if there is true interest, one should make a real effort to learn the skills (tool preparation and use)… even if you have to go out of your way to do so.

I work on a good number of 300 year old instruments with center joints intact. I'm sure they didn't have an electric joiner... and they certainly didn't use a sawed joint... but they did probably have apprentices.

Once you develop the skill of joining by hand, spring joint or not, if there is a "shortcut" in preparation that yields the same result, fine... go for it and let us know. I'm all ears.

http://holmesviolins.com

Last edited by Jeffrey Holmes on Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:16 pm; edited 9 times in total
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a demo for the Guild of American Luthiers convention one year where I brought a small case of tops, and joined them all in 30 minutes. The only tricks I know are to have a perfectly tuned and adjusted plane, to stand so that your forearm moves like a piston perfectly in line over the wood directly behind the handle of the plane, and to use the leading, left hand, fingers under the plane (thumb on top pressing down--don't use the ball handle) as a fence to make sure the center of the blade is centered precisely and constantly on the wood for the full length of the stroke.

If you do this, and you set the blade for the absolute minimum cut, about 20 strokes of the plane will result in a perfectly flat, non-twisted surface, with a slight about of spring. You don't have to think at all--just let the plane do what planes do WHEN THEY'RE PROPERLY SET UP AND GUIDED!

I subsequently tried this with a 14-year old nephew with no manual skills or experience, and he took about 15 minutes for his first joint.

The place I see people failing the most when I watch is that they don't get a good stable, machine-like stroke going with the plane, in a straight line, on the same part of the blade. They sort of wobble the plane from end to end, and then are surprised when it doesn't work.
KenN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had the same problem Dave had the other day. I was fitting the pegs and carving the pegbox a little deeper, and for some dumb reason I tapped the fingerboard on my knee to get the chips out! I heard a funny noise and the body didn't ring anymore. The back came loose on one side from the button to the middle of the c bout. It almost seems like the glue didn't sink into the wood at all. What's the best method to be sure the glue bonds to the wood and not just lays between it? I heated the wood with a heat gun, glued about 2-3 inches at a time, held it together and then clamped it (not too tight, I've been there before!), and moved on down the break. I need a semester long class: glueing 101. In the woodworking errors can be hidden, errors in glueing can't. Is the glue too thick? I had my best luck with glue that seemed thin. I use a small amount of glue at a time and I think it may get too thick as I go along. Maybe I need to splurge more on the glue and just throw it away when (not if) it gets mold on it.
jethro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Hang in there Dave! Reply with quote

Take heart Dave... If I can do it .. anyone can !
I have to say..... Jeffrey's advice was RIGHT ON TARGET about a little
spring in the middle of the plate. My last experiment where I WATCHED
the edges move appart prooves it. They mooved appart because the
center was absorbing more water (or faster) than the edges and the
caused a swelled "hump" in the center - which causes the plates to move appart- but the last inch or 2 aern't swelling quite as fast or as much so
a crack forms there. By taking extra material off the center- just a
little- you are accounting for that uneven swelling before it happens.
The first part of the joint to "stick" are those very same 1-2 inches at
the ends. They stick in about 5 secconds, and then over the next 30 sec.
the center portion swells MORE and those faces slowly swell out to meet
each other and then THEY also "stick". You don't have to clamp it because those end portions stick hard enough that they apply force
once the center part comes under tension from it's swelling !

When I did it the first time and SAW the thing swelling and the end gaps
form--- I understood what to do instantly. !!!!!!!!!!!
Perhaps I didn't explain what I saw clearly enough the first time.

Please don't take me wronge...... I just threw the "sawn joint" thing
out there to see if anyone had heard of it. (Strobel mentions it but
doesn't talk about it)

I have to say I allways agreed with Michael's and Jeffrey's thinking that
a 10000% PERFECT rubbed joint that is completely invisible in the
finnished product is an absolute must have if you want a top quality
product. ( that's why I didn't give up !!!!!!!!) My Daddy allways told
me to learn from other's mistakes AND their wisdom as well !

Dave-Hope this helps----
PS again make sure your plane sole is FLAT and your blade is VVVERRRYYY sharp !

If you have to -- take your plane body to an engine machine shop
and have tham take a finnish cut off the bottom - just like it was a
an engine head ...... It works great !

Tim
violinarius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Darnton wrote:
I did a demo for the Guild of American Luthiers convention one year where I brought a small case of tops, and joined them all in 30 minutes.
I subsequently tried this with a 14-year old nephew with no manual skills or experience, and he took about 15 minutes for his first joint.

I see that you teach a class in California, will you be teaching jointing?

http://www.darntonviolins.com/violinmaking.php#announcements

"Three weeks of violin making and setup workshops in June 2008 in Claremont, California, taught by Michael Darnton and sponsored by Jim Brown of J Brown Violin Maker."
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes--things like that, which are short lessons and good for everyone, I will teach whenever anyone asks, even if it's not on the list of things to do.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Jointing the plates Reply with quote

Thanks for all your insights. I'm finally getting to understand the necessity for the spring gap in the middle, and it makes perfect sense. I also appreciate the information on techniques for holding the plane through the stroke, something I had not considered. I did take my "hercules" plane apart, attached the cutting parts to a 30" long shooting board made of aspen, and tried that as well, and I think I did better just with the plane itself.

Now I'm looking forward to getting some fresh wood to join. Thanks again.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
byacey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purists may strongly disagree with me, but I use G2 epoxy on the back and belly center join. This is one of the things that you never need or want to come apart. I have had 100% success with a dead flat joint, epoxying and clamping. This joint won't even come apart after submerging the joined pieces underwater for months, and provides a neat, tight, invisible glue joint.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: