Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for aluminum frames
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M_A_T_T

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, $150? You're paying $100+ for a fancy engine turned surface. I've made two from $5.00 sheets of 1/8" thick aluminum. One I sold to a violin maker in Canada for $20 and the other I kept for myself.

Here is the one I kept for myself, much like Michael's and Andres' design, except it has legs to support itself.

I also glued the bar while the top was in the frame.

Here is the first one I built, the violin maker I sold it to helped design it. I gave it built in clamps, which I found with my second one were really unnecessary as any little spring clamp will do, and it also has the legs which were my idea. (ignore the top in these pics, it was a pre-carved sample a company sent me)

If you can make a violin, you can make one of these. I used my band saw with a 1/8" 14TPI blade to cut out the outline, than drilled a hole in the middle and used a coping saw with a fine blade to cut out the inside. After that alot of file work is required.

Making a Violin III - Finally Finished
violinarius

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for aluminum frames Reply with quote

Jack H. wrote:
for violin and cello.
Any one know where to get one?

This sounds like a good job for someone who does CNC.
In most cities there should be someone who offers such a service.
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, but CNC doesn't work magic as far as economics. It takes time to do the programming of the machine even if one provides a CAD drawing. So to get the price into a reasonable level one needs to make a quantity and spread the setup cost out.

My frames were cut from a CAD drawing, but if I'd had only one made it would have cost several hundred dollars.
M_A_T_T

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My work does loads of CNC work, we have several CNC mills and lathes. I had a bending iron form CNC'd after drawing the shape in CAD.

We actually do quite a bit of 1/8" sheet aluminum CNC'ing for the drywall tools we manufacture. The aluminum sheet I made my frames out of is the same stuff we run in the machines regularly for our production.

I could inquire about costs and time for making such a product. We seem to be somewhat slow right now, might be a good time to ask.

What is a good thickness for the frames? Mine are 1/8" but i think Andres' are 3/16"? I didn't notice mine to flex when using it, nor has the maker I sold one to. I think Michael also once mentioned he bends his frame to fit any distorions in his tops, which would be easier with a thinner frame.

M_A_T_T

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to my boss today about CNC'ing some frames. I didn't have mine with me but explained to him what it was. He said off the top of his head it might cost only $9 in material & machining time @ $1/minute + $5 for the sheet. The CAD drawing can be written up by me after hours on my time. The sheets of aluminum that are held in the machine by an existing jig are big enough to do violas as well, they are 12" x 18".

M_A_T_T

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a prototype I had made. The design is Andres Sender's, who sent me the design and allowed me to use it. It's cut from a sheet of 1/8" anodized aluminum. Some kinks still need to be worked out in regards to how it is cut out.

Jack H.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice!
Might have to make ait a bit narower on the inside to use it to work on. looks like it hangs over a bit into the work area.

I would order at least 4 or 5 at that price adn pay for shipping and handling...
M_A_T_T

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack H. wrote:
Looks nice!
Might have to make ait a bit narower on the inside to use it to work on. looks like it hangs over a bit into the work area.

Thanks. I don't have a top on hand to check the fit, but it's the exact same design as the one Andres Sender posted earlier in this thread. I am interested in getting more made and selling them. Just not sure of the best method to go about doing that.

Jack H.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

advertize in the strad magazine or other trade mags.
Start machining tools from aluminum and brass, like those wonderful crack clamps and things and word will get out if you have a simple web site or catalogue.
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack--the design was carefully worked out (with help and feedback from Michael Darnton) to allow access to the bassbar area in a wide variety of violins while also being clampable to a wide variety, I doubt you'd run into problems even on larger instruments. Frames of this design are currently in use in a certain shop in Chicago. Wink

Matt–The anodizing is nice! You’ll have no trouble moving these if you just contact the various workshops or schools I’d bet.
Jack H.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andres, I figured it would be ok for the bass bar, I had a thought for a fleeting moment that it might interfere with interior work, but you only realy use a frame for the bb and to make a counterform, in which care you are right, it would not get in the way.
WNitkin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Frame Reply with quote

If you have any frames for sale please let me know!
WNitkin@aol.com
mapleleaf_gal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used pegboard to cut mine. it works great. it is stiff, but you run less of a chance of injurying any part of the wood and i'm sure it is less heavy as well. i used the "holeless" kind of pegboard.
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be masonite I think?

Some use clear acrylic also.
M_A_T_T

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested, I got a second one cut today and was able to get pictures! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: