Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Squeaking and Scratching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Verdi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Squeaking and Scratching Reply with quote

Hi. I have a beginning $300 violin setup. I think maybe my bow is really crappy. Should I invest in a pernambuco bow or a coda bow? Should I get the violin restrung with some really good strings? I need some kind of improvement to get my sound better.

I have good technique but it still sounds like a chain saw. Would a professional violinist be able to make my set up sound professional?

I can't buy a $5,000. violin right now. I will only be able to get things one at a time. I have the monthly expense of lessons.

So, what improvement should I make right now: bow, strings, or just hang in there with what I have.

Thank you for your help
Shirley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to you, too, Verdi ~ You have asked a very good question. Certainly, the better we can sound, the more likely we are to enjoy practicing. As you note, there are several ways to go to get the better sound:

Bow - at least as important as the violin. You might take your violin to a shop and try several bows in your price range. Apparently just about anything would be better than what you have.

Set up: Has your violin been set up (sound post, bridge, etc.) by someone who knows what they are doing? If not, that would make a great difference, but it could be expensive - $100 or so I believe. At least you might have someone look at it and tell you if work need to be done.

Strings: This might be a good bet, depending - what kinds of strings do you have now? A decent set of student quality strings might help.

The problem is, as you have indicated that you already know, a $300 instrument is probably not going to have a very good sound. Yes, Perelman could probably make it sound pretty good (!), but there might be things that can be done for making it sound better with you playing it!

You say you are taking lessons? Your teacher might be a big help here. Have you asked your teacher these questions? S/he knows your situation and your fiddle.

The way I would go: Strings first (the least expensive option), then a decent bow. You mentioned a Coda bow - Is a Coda bow in your within your budget? You might want to find something less expensive. But understand that a proper set-up is the magic key.

I hope someone else here can advise you better than I. There is probably a luthier lurking, and could chime in.

You do use enough/not too much rosin??

Please pop back on and tell us how, and what you are doing, and the results. Good luck!

Shirley
Becky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, Shirley. The only thing I would add is that you may want to suggest you get a new bow before you get new strings. If your bow is really cheap, a nicer bow would make a bigger difference than new strings. I don't know what kind of string and bow set up you have now though so it's hard to say.
Another thing, your technique may be good now, but can you work with your teacher on making it even better? I started off on a cheap violin (under $100--it was pretty bad). It'll always be a cheap violin and never sound like a strad, but the more talented the player, the better it sounded. My teachers could make it sound beautiful. It was enough to motivate me to really focus on making my technique even better so that I too could make it sound like that. While a better bow and better strings can help you sound better, I think the greatest improvement may come from perfecting the way you play. It'll help you now and it will make you sound even better when you do get to upgrade your violin someday.
Is there a violin shop nearby where you can test out different bows? I would definitely try out a variety before buying one. If you don't have a music store nearby, check out the online string companies. At least one of them (Shar) has a bow trial that allows you to choose a few bows, they send them all to you to try out, and then you can choose which one works best for you. They're also good about helping you choose which bows out of all they sell would be best for you.
gjk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: try rosin first Reply with quote

Hi Verdi, I'm using a $150 used stentor outfit. I got a marginally better bow(just felt a lot nicer to play with in the store) and when I had it for a while it started sounding worse(so I thought). Turns out it was my no-name rosin. I bought some hidersine (just happens to be what the local store carries) and wow, what a difference, much less scratch/squeak. For very little $, it might be worth trying first. Just my 2cents worth, Gerry
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verdi... is your violin new or used and of what quality/ value... Has it been set up by a luthier??
Same questions about your bow....you need an opinion of the hairing quality and the wood
Basics first....
1- take it to a reputable luthier for an opinion.. both the violin and bow.. that much won't cost
2- use good strings... less than $50 list is questionable
3- use good rosin... I use Bill Salchow Rosin...on all violin repairs and set up.
4- new violins depending on the source are often next to not playable... go visit a luthier!
Good luck, let us know how you make out.... Mat
Verdi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again,

I was going to start taking lessons from a university but it didn't work out -too much. So now I will go back to my first teacher and ask her to assess it.

I am going to get: strings, better rosin, and a really good bow. And then let you all know the difference.

My set up is brand new from a music store this year. And it's an Antonio for $300. And it came already setup. My rosin is the one from Germany in the bag. (I don't like it).

All your comments were so helpful and encouraging. I love the violin so much. I can hardly put it down. I will drop back in in a few months with an update. (I'll be really good by then Razz ). Thank you all.
Shirley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verdi - thanks for dropping by again, and we all look forward to hearing how things are going in a few months! (You needen't wait that long, however - if you have further music concerns, please voice them here for, as you can see, there are a lot of people here willing to try to help.

Continued good luck! Shirley
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verdi... I think set up may still be suspect....but then, I have not seen your violin....but check a few dimensions to gain confidence...
1- Bridge thickness at feet max 4.2- 4.5 mm
2- Height of bridge at the center above violin top... max 34mm
3-Playing string length ideally 325mm but often up to 328mm
4- height of strings above fingerboard at end of fingerboard.. e string max 3mm; g string 4.5mm
5-bridge thickness at top edge max 1.4mm
6-height of strings above fingerboard at nut...not more that the thickness of a business card
7- forward edge of sound post approx 3-4mm behind backside of bridge
8- side edge of sound post about 1mm inside of bridge foot and this dimension should be mirrored for the bass bar on the opposite side.
These are usual standard dimensions and they are sometimes changed for valid reasons... but this is a safe start and if there are variances, it is time for a reputable luthier's opinion.
Good luck, and enjoy your violin!
Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: