Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sika more

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: sika more Reply with quote

any one have a good source for sycamore tone wood?
BillD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simeon Chambers occasionally lists some sycamore backs. He is on Ebay as well as an Ebay store. I just looked and he has three sycamore backs for violins currently listed.

Bill Daniels
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip bill...i'll check it out
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Sika More Reply with quote

I recently had someone give me a length of supposed Russian Sycamore, extremely dense and heavy, its about 3" x 3" and about 20" long. I've considered making a violin neck ( I probably have enough for two necks) but would not know where to get back and rib wood to match. Plus, I don't know of its tonal quality. I cut a block about 3" square and put it to my sander and its rather pretty, but the grain kinda reminds me of mahogany, color is rather dark sort of red and black striations. Sound like Sycamore? Got lots of domestic sycamore in my yard, rather green (still has leaves) is it any good for tone wood?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the ebay guys got some good peices but i don't like the sycamore he's got....certain pecies can have amazing grain celabration rivialing the best flamed maple...

regarding tone, i'm not the guy you want to ask about that...

well, i swear by white oak ribs...for certain instruments

i find good qaulitys in all woods

i'm not shooting for the norm

more of the abby normal
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jessupe:
Sounds like someone has been watching too much "Young Frankenstein". Anyway, the sycamore I've got is more yellow with dark brown almost black. If is likely not Russian as it has some lettering stamped into it that is not cyrillic. Anyway, it apparently was used in the making of a pallet and was salvaged somewhere along the line because if its unusual density.

I'd be happy to send you enough for a neck if you're interested, but won't be till after Christmas as I'm out of town.
Dave Chandler

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thats very nice to offer such a thing, perhaps i can come up with a trade....i'lll check back after the holidays...thank jess
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: