Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Filling in gaps around the purfling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KenN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Filling in gaps around the purfling Reply with quote

I fixed a botched purfling groove by making it 2mm wide and putting double whites between the blacks. But the corners still have gaps on the inside where the little triangles broke away. What can I fill them with to make it look decent? Also on the other one I'm working on I glued it together and forgot to put a label in. Any suggestions on how to slide one inside through the ff hole?
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use timbermate filler....use tint base and mix in approptite universal tint colorants to make the desired color, lamp blac for black, and a dash of raw seinna and burnt umber for maple, very little tint....it may be wise to do this after the first couple of base coats of finish are on....if done right ontop finsh you will be able to remove the excess with a damp rag, put it on raw wood and you can do the same but you will have to sand agressivly to remove the haze, let alone water treat the whole plate
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also hide glue may be tinted, if doing a traditional b/w/b purfling, you may set the purfling in with "regular" glue to assue a "standard" uncontaminated bond, then after setting an wiping that, go over it again with black tinted hide glue, this will act as a epoxy like resin filler that if tinted will blend any over width cutting on the black side, to bring the wood to the purfling i do suggest timbermate, ofcourse whatever you do, don't get ahead of yourself with application, either one if not done properly will create a situation wher sanding will be required to remove it, thus increasing the chance for edge distortion
KenN

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will try to fill in the gaps as full as possible with solid wood, then use a minimal amount of filler. Maybe the filler will hide the glue lines on my Bergonzi where I glued the cracked ribs that looked like a bullet went thru it! The hide glue just seems to make it stand out more. I was surprised to get it back together at all, but you can still see it.
jethro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Kens purfling fixes .. Reply with quote

I have used the little plastic tubs of water based wood filler-- they come
allready shaded to match different woods. There is one called "white"
I mixed with one called "maple" to match the wood color. Kind of tricky
to match because it changes color as it dries. I used a little in the corners
on violin #1.
On # 2 I got hr purfling groove perfect except a few short segments which
had about .005 too much gap. That doesn't sound like much but It looked
HUGE with the purfling in. I was pretty sure it would not close from swelling....
So I ordered Viola purfling which is about .010 wider ! I opened rest of groove to match the oregional too wide part and had a near perfect fit
everywhere now. It looks fine ! You wouldn't notice unless you flipped
it back and forth! I don't think It looks bad anyway ! (?)

Just another crazy way to cover up a boo-boo ! ( I get plenty too )

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: