Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Art of Bowmaking, by Kun and Regh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: The Art of Bowmaking, by Kun and Regh Reply with quote

I am considering buying this book, but it is quite costly--can anyone tell me more about the book, and whether it is really worth $360?

I went to a Lynn Hannings class in Eureka, January of 2006, and felt it was worthwhile. That workshop cost nearly double what the book costs, so, in that sense, if it is really good, the book is a bargain-- but the workshop also provided a lot of hands-on teaching, practice, correction, discussion, explanations, etc. Books can only go so far.

I have met Mr. Regh, one of the authors, and was certainly favorably impressed, but I'd like to know more about the book. Anyone? Leif, I know you offer the book for sale, but I'd be happy to hear it from you, too. Is this book an education in bowmaking?

Last edited by Chet Bishop on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leif Luscombe
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chet,

Thank you for your post. The book is extremely well done. I will be away for a day; I will post more here soon when I return.
Ed Shillitoe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet - what choice do you have? It seems that there are no other books in print that describe bow making. I have the books by Bolander and Henderson, but neither is available any longer.

Ed
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...well, That's a bit of a glum way to look at it, but I s'pose you are right. On the other hand if the unanimous consensus had been that it was a tremendous waste of money, I s'pose I could just keep signing up for Lynn's class, and at least not waste the money on the book.

I was hoping for feedback that would at least shape my thinking as to what I could expect from it.
ctvviolin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This book is extremely technical.

It contains everything you need to know in order to machine an excellent bow in the manner described, but its weak point (if it has one) is that it will not tell you anything at all about making a bow in the traditional manner.

Bow making can be approached in one of several ways, and this book outlines the "machine age" way to proceed - make no mistake, you will be able to complete the task with the information given in this book, if you are willing to set up and use machining tools for every aspect of the job, but if you want to be able to take some simple hand tools and try anything near a traditional approach, good luck, you're on your own.

I also have a copy of the Bolander book (xeroxed) and find that it is a bit weak on particulars.

Chet - PM or email me before you buy this book - if I'm not too late that is.
Ed Shillitoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Chet, what you're hearing is that the book and the classes teach different methods. They do not supplement each other. The Bolander book teaches essentially the French method, as does Lynn. This requires very few tools or jigs, but really I think you have to watch someone rather than get it from a book. If I were you I think I would take the classes. I have done bow repair with Lynn Hanning and found her to be very good.

Incidentally, the Bolander and Henderson books were reviewed by William Salchow in the VSA journal many years ago - he liked the Bolander but not the other one. Salchow was Lynn's teacher, so you will be getting into the French tradition if you follow her classes.

Ed
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I expect I will continue with her classes, but I am glad to be told ahead of time that the book and her class are two completely different schools of thought.

Yes, Lynn is a good teacher--very little wasted time...if any. It is an eight-hour drive one way for me to get there, and the week of class costs me right around $850 (+) USD to attend, including all costs. If the book were either supplementary to or complimentary to the class, then it would be an excellent investment, as it would tend to maximize my learning potential in the class itself.

It's too bad there is not a book readily available that teaches the traditional methods. There are very few things that cannot be taught by a good writer who knows his/her subject...but there are even fewer that cannot be better taught by demonstration.

Thanks to all who responded...Leif, I'd still like to hear your review of the Kun/Regh book. I haven't ruled it out-- just put it in a different category. Smile

Chet
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Bolander Reply with quote

Remind me what the title of the Bolander book is? I'd love a decent overview of the French method.

Another book I found rather useful, although its reputation for accuracy is just about nil with regard to violin lore, is the Bachman Encyclopedia of the Violin.
Ed Shillitoe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bolander book is called "Violin Bow Making" and Bolander published it privately. I imagine its pretty hard to get a copy. I got mine by advertising for it in a classified ad in the Strad magazine. I went to see Mr Bolander once and he autographed it for me, but I've never seen another copy.

Its surprising how few bow-making books there are. The Bachmann encyclopedia does have some interesting information, and pictures of templates etc., but otherwise I can't think of anything that covers the French method of bow-making. I suppose there must be no market for such a thing.

Ed
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 'a' market for sure, but as with many violin subjects, not a large market. I'm glad to know this book is worthwhile, I've known about it for a while but could not get an idea of its contents before this. As I recall there's another Bolander book, "1000 Bows and XYZ..."
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was allowed to look through the Kun and Regh book-- it really is pretty impressive, and I expect will buy one. I can't afford it at the moment, but I do think it belongs in my "how-to" library.

I tried to find a copy of the Bolander book, but with no success.
ctvviolin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

email me.
bulerias1981

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. I apprentice with Mr. Regh. I had the shop copy with me for a few weeks, as I wasn't working on bows, it seemed technical to me, however Mr. Regh describes it as "basic"!. To him it is considered basic. He holds a bow making course every April I believe in his bowmaking building in Poughkeepsie, NY. Knowing him and his attention to detail, I'd say his book is worth every dollar. Anyone interested in his book, I'll talk to him and see how many copies he has left. I remember he said there wasn't many printed in the first place. So that could also impact the price.
He is currently working on a one of a kind bow restoration book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: