Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for open string kids music

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sim_sun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Looking for open string kids music Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
I have a very musical 6 year old who begged me for a violin for a year. Because I am a single mom and have no extra money, she was donated a new violin by some wonderful musicians from Nova Scotia. It is a 3/4 size and too big for her to do finger work. I can't afford lessons, so we are kind of winging it with books. She has finished the first book of a kids series I think is called "Adventures in Violin Land", but the next book begins fingering, which she can't do yet.

The issue: I am looking all over online or in stores for open string pizzicato (or she could start using the bow too) music for her to practice with.
I would write music myself if I had any musical ability, but I don't. I don't even know how to tune it. I realize she won't be able to use her fingers until she grows a little, and I can't afford to rent her a 1/2 size violin. She absolutely *loves* playing and already wants to go to a music school when she's older. I feel terrible because I can't afford lessons or even books for her.

I am asking for help in a title of a good book of music or a place where I can find online simple songs that use the open string that she can pluck or play with the bow for now. I want to maintain her practice discipline and love of playing until she gets bigger or I can afford a smaller violin, or she starts a public school music program. The "problem" is she is an extremely fast learner and she is already bored with the few songs in the first book.

Maybe someone can put together a couple of songs for me? I really appreciate any help, links, or resources. I don't want my daughter to miss out on such a wonderful opportunity just because we don't have money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: