Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bitumen/asphaltum continued

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
actonern

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: bitumen/asphaltum continued Reply with quote

Since I had indifferent results attempting to dissolve road tar in turpentine (it would never achieve a honey like consistency) I kept looking...

I bought a tin of "Senefelder's liquid Asphaltum" at an art supply store. It has a "honey like consistency" but I don't know anything about the contents to use it with confidence yet.

Are any of you familiar with this product?
MANFIO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! you don't need a honey like consistency, you just need a dark liquid of bitumen and turpentine or kerosene. If this "liquid Asphaltum" dissolves well in kerosene or turpentine it will work, I think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
actonern

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again, Manfio...

I have googled to no avail to find out if there is any evidence that the Cremonese makers used bitumen in their varnishes?

Any thoughts?
DonLeister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actonern,
I found some tar in the alley behind a shopping center where it splashed off the roof being recoated. I think Michael D, suggested roofing tar, the kind that comes in a big chunk to be melted and put on roofs.
But then, I have not tried road tar either. Maybe it is just the thing
You can search one of the other forums (say, Maestronet for instance) for more about it. I doubt any one will say it was definitely authentic Cremonese (even Michael), but instead more of a useful colorant when combined with other pigments then put into varnish.
MANFIO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen is good to take off the excessive brightness of colours such as red or orange, but it has an interesting colour by itself. Michael Darnton mentioned roof tar.

I think there is no evidence of it's use the Cremonese, but chemical analise of Cremonese varnishes is not all that perfect. If I'm not wrong, a research in Germany pointed out to charcoal in Strad's varnish.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: