Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

catalogue of violin makers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiddlinfool

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: catalogue of violin makers? Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I'm a fiddle player from the Ottawa area. When the opportunity poresents itself I have an interest in buying and playing the occasional vintage violin. With this in mind I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a comprehensive "catalogue" or "encylopedia" of violin makers. I'd like to be able to have a reference publication in which I could look up a makers name and learn a bit about his technique, time period and geographic origin should I find an old voilin for sale with a name other than copy of Strad, Stainer, etc.

Any suggestions? Very Happy

thanks
-Scott
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're just looking for names, two books will mostly cover everything:
William Henley's Universal Dictionary of Violin Makers, and, maybe,
Thomas Wenberg's Violin Makers of the United States.

Both are very expensive, though, and neither will help you know if the violin in your hand is authentic or simply has its label replaced with one of a more famous maker by someone "upgrading" it to make more money.

I think the book you really want has not been written, though.
FiddleDoug

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Violin makers database Reply with quote

How about Baxter's Database of Violin and Bowmakers? I've been thinking of getting this myself. Around $80 with shipping. They claim >20,000 entries.

www.wallindependent.com
fiddlinfool

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Any idea where I can locate copies of William Henley's Universal Dictionary of Violin Makers, Thomas Wenberg's Violin Makers of the United States and Baxter's Database?

thanks Smile
FiddleDoug

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Baxter's database Reply with quote

It's available directly from Edward Baxter
http://members.aol.com/violinmakers/violinmakers.html
or from some other places. Just do a Google search.

www.wallindependent.com
Jack H.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a plethora of information at a reasonable price that you want, there was a guy selling a cd of the Jalovec Books on eBay a while ago.
A lot of the information in the book itself is copied from other books, so there are SOME fallacies that were also copied too.
The pictures are b&w, some very old, some less so.
There is some biographical info and some pictures of labels.
The instruments are German, Austrian and Italian and it is far from all encompassing. There is also a section about the different Italian schools and the history of the makers.
Pictures here are in color but are OLD and not up to modern standards, but outlines, ff hole shapes and some characteristics can be discerned.
Basically it is Scans of the book, and what ya got in the book is on the CD.
Sounds like I am looking at the catalogue on my 'puter, I am, I had $13 burning a hole in my pocket and thought it might be useful someday, even though I have the Jalovec books, and Hamma books, and Blott books and Benedek book and many others on the shelf. Information accessible on the puter is sometimes helpful.
Jack H.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://myworld.ebay.com/mark_plum

it might have been $23 not $13.
I just emailed him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: