Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideal violin or air humidity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sibemol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Ideal violin or air humidity Reply with quote

I know there are sofisticated violin cases with an higrometer inside to read the humidity. Thus I wonder, what is the ideal humidity to keep a violin with good tone. Is there an ideal percentage valid for every instrument or it depends of each one in particular?
Shirley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Sibermol ~ Regarding the proper humidity at which to keep your violin...good luck. I believe around 30 to 50 percent is considered ideal, and I used to keep a humidifyer in my case, but gave up. It did make the humidity about 5 % higher, but it is so dry here (west of Denver) that it didn't seem to make any difference generally. My viola has gotten used to the dryness,

There is some discussion on whether it is best to have the environment wetter, and then drying, ro just let it stay about the same. (Reminiscent of yo-yo dieting?) On a rainy day, however, I do detect a sigh of relief in its better tone!

I hope you find a solution that pleases you! Shirley
Gizmo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Water , water everywhere ! Reply with quote

http://www.burgessviolins.com/humidity.html
little lady

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I have read the best humidity for an instrument is between 40 and 60 degrees.

The hygrometers that come in violin cases are usually not dependable. You can find digital ones which are better for under $10 in Wal Mart.
Keep it where you store your instrument and let that be your guide whether or not you should use a dampit.

You can also wet a small sponge and wring it out well, put it in a small plastic bag which you can seal and into which you have punched holes with a sewing needle. This can be kept in your case in a position where it won´t come into contact with the violin (such as behind the shoulder rest), and it will help add humidity to your case if you are in a dry climate.
Sibemol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much to all of you that contributed with useful help. Don’t believe I own so a sofisticated and/or valuable violin to take care. It’s just a trivial Guarneri copy, not identified till now (supposed to be from the Tirol region) and judged by luthiers as “of reazonable quality”. Strings are Dominant; tailpiece and chinrest made of Brasilian wood. Also, I play only for self amusement.

Nevertheless, the sound is not quite smooth as I consider it could be. My brother has an old and cheap violin and the sound is much more soft...

I also observe – as Shirley said – that in rainy days the instrument sounds a little better. During these days I let the case permanently open to take profit of the environment humidity.

I found the site posted by Gizmo so much interesting and opportune. Thank you again.

Regardind the procedures suggested by little lady I have already an interesting humidifier which can hold 10 ml of watter, but perhaps it’s insufficient to keep propper humidity.

By the way, I have already made some experiments: I am used to put a little wett cloth inside the violin, re-wett and change it of position from time to time. The result is better than with the humidifier (I must take care to not have to wird the violin itself...)

Another way is to blow a very tenuous spray of watter in the inner part of the case, with the violin inside; close the case immediately and let it over night.

I have also positioned the violino on two supports, belly down, about 2 feets high on a basin with watter and covered all with a plastic tissue during the night.

Finaly I made another experiment: Involved the violin with a resistent and perforated plastic tissue and then involved all with a wett towel...

All this said, let me remember that my violin is relatively inexpensive so that I can try these procedures. But I am not, in any way, suggesting nobody to do the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: