Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you store your violins?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesfiddle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: How do you store your violins? Reply with quote

Has anyone here made a good rack system for storing/hanging fiddles that don't have cases?
Jes
FiddleDoug

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Violin Cabinet Reply with quote

I store a few of my instruments in a cabinet that I built. You can see pictures of it on my website. It will store up to 12 violins in two rows of 6. I can also hang about 8 bows on the sides of the cabinet. The hangers that fiddles hang on are made of 1/8 inch brass brazing rod. I also have a hygrometer and humidifier in the cabinet so that I can monitor and control the humidity during the heating season.

www.wallindependent.com
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storage is a challenge...

I keep my shop temp. and humidity very constant, and usually hang a number of instruments on the rack shown in the left corner of this photo:

The rack is a cherry frame with brass rods.

On the other side of the shop, I also have cases in an open shelved cart as well as cases in wall cabinets. In the safe, I use a cubby system.

http://holmesviolins.com
mapleleaf_gal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey Holmes wrote:

I keep my shop temp. and humidity very constant, and usually hang a number of instruments on the rack shown in the left corner of this photo:

On the other side of the shop, I also have cases in an open shelved cart as well as cases in wall cabinets. In the safe, I use a cubby system.

how in the heck do you keep your shop space so clean??!!

i see you are a CSVM graduate. when did you graduate?
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mapleleaf_gal wrote:

i see you are a CSVM graduate. when did you graduate?

Can't seem to get anything done unless the shop is clean. Smile Most of my time is spent restoring, which I find goes much more smoothly if all is in order.

Yes, I am a CSVM graduate. Started when the school was called the "The Kenneth Warren School of Violin Making" and the setting was on Jackson in downtown Chicago. Finished in '85, after the school took on the new name and moved to the NW side. Since then, it moved to the present building in Skokie and (as you probably know) went non-profit. I presently serve on the school's board of directors.

Here's the other side (just so you know I don't shove the mess around to take photos) Very Happy There's a separate machine room, which helps keep the dust down.

Jack H.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey Holmes wrote:

Nice work space Jeffery!
Can't wait to get mine in shape, too much moving around recently...

J H
mapleleaf_gal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jeffrey Holmes"][quote="mapleleaf_gal"]

amazing. i am a neat and orderly person, but there is no way i could work in a shop that clean!! even the HOSPITAL pharmacy i work in is NOT that clean!

i graduted in '02 just before they went non profit. i think i read on your webpage that you worked for shar. that company is a lot like southwest strings, i think. i moved up here to seattle a few years ago, but there are very few shops but they are all down in the city. they also do not need any help or want anyone hanging around. so, i have done very little with my making/repairing in the last few years. just done making in my workshop in my house. but am getting ready to move to tucson, az this summer. soutwest strings is there. i have been toying with the idea of trying to get a job there. do you know anything about working for them? or know anyone who does? any feedback at all? this is just a back up plan if i can not get a job in a hospital pharmacy. (going to try to get into pharmacy school at the U of A but have some pre reqs to finish up before i can apply)
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mapleleaf_gal wrote:
amazing. i am a neat and orderly person, but there is no way i could work in a shop that clean!! even the HOSPITAL pharmacy i work in is NOT that clean!

In addition to my own (maybe manic) need to have things in their respective places (so I can find them), I tend to work on higher end instruments. The owners seem much more comfortable when they see that some serious care is being taken... and I'm much less nervous when I have a solid feeling that I've not laid down my straight edge on the Amati's top. Smile

Touchup goes on much better when there's no dust in it too!

mapleleaf_gal wrote:

i think i read on your webpage that you worked for shar. that company is a lot like southwest strings, i think.

Yes, I worked for Shar 17 years... came there to work with David Burgess. I think the comparison to Southwest Strings is pretty accurate at this point. Ten or twenty years ago, Shar was a very different place, though. I was VP of the Fine Instrument Division there... and we had a pretty impressive inventory and a number of fine restorers then... and a shop in Toronto as well.

Quote:
i moved up here to seattle a few years ago, but there are very few shops but they are all down in the city. they also do not need any help or want anyone hanging around. so, i have done very little with my making/repairing in the last few years. just done making in my workshop in my house. but am getting ready to move to tucson, az this summer. soutwest strings is there. i have been toying with the idea of trying to get a job there. do you know anything about working for them? or know anyone who does? any feedback at all? this is just a back up plan if i can not get a job in a hospital pharmacy. (going to try to get into pharmacy school at the U of A but have some pre reqs to finish up before i can apply)

Don't know much about working for the Southwest company... but they do seem to be expanding in a number of areas. If the management is flexible, maybe it could be a decent place to hang your hat for a while.

Jack; Do snap a few shots when you get your shop space the way you want it to be!

MLM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am soooo impressed with your shop!!! What a great example of
professionalism. That is by far the best I have ever seen and should
set a standard for all. Congratulatios. Your violins must reflect the same
standard of excellence. I know where to shop for my next violin.
MLM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: