Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ebay violin purchase How can I tell?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elkwoman46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Ebay violin purchase How can I tell? Reply with quote

Greetings! I just discovered this delightful forum and signed up. I am bubbling with excitement as I am acquiring an "unknown" violin. It was a spur of the moment thing really; I noticed way too far in the game as the auction was almost over. And there I won it. Here is the thing, the seller apparently was selling stuff that seemed to have come out of an old violin shop. Like older stringed instruments that needed repair and violin tools and parts and left overs of strings and so forth.
But the reality hit me after I won it; what have I done??! GRIN GRIN!
So, I am wondering, when it arrives, what can I look for to help me decide if this item is older or newer, if it is one of those ones from China or one from some years ago? I am guessing that this probably has no label in it, or it probably would have been mentioned. Also, it is kind of misleading to post the photos of said violin because I think it appears to be yellowish, when I don't think it is, I am pretty sure it will be much more orange/reddish in tone than it looks to be by photo. The other ones from that seller had the same photo problem but here and there it showed the truer colors. The one thing that makes it kind of different from other violins on line (as I now have spent time looking around on the web/eBay too) is that around the center of the front of the violin (on top) it is darker than the top and bottom of the face of the violin. Like it had a heavy hand of staining in the center of face, like a fat stripe across it but fused a bit.
I must say, while I did not spend much for this, I really am stumped; I had a great feeling about it when I took the plunge, but now, I am totally wondering what will be coming to me!! GRIN GRIN.
It did meet with an accident; hence the good starting price, as there was a ding on the side top lip and actually that was about it for description and photo. This ding did not apparently ruin the playability of it as I think it is not that big of a deal in that way, but it did make it look slightly hurt.
Also, it is more of a satin finish. It does not look even close to a nitro finish.

I do now see that there are plenty of books online for sale that identify violins, but that is not really what I am after. I just want to be given advice how to tell the basics...if the violin is old or not. If I purchased a cheap import. Etc.

Thanks so very, very kindly in advance for any thoughts and comments that would help me when it comes in.
Gizmo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No label ?
Your "unknown" violin will probably remain unknown.
I'm aware of several successful "blind" Ebay instrument buys and I hope you get lucky also but be prepared for anything.
Elkwoman46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Gizmo,
Greetings to you! Your bottom line, I NEVER PRACTICE. I'M NOT FAMOUS YET. is absolutely delightful, actually hysterical! I am still giggling.
Thanks for your reply. I am hoping that it was even handmade....grin grin LOL. Actually, I still remain clueless as to what I bought. I did not see anything to compare it to yet. Oh, I should have said, the back has absolutely no flames, it does seem to have a vertical maple grain going up and down, but minimal. The back seems to be smooth and look like a satin finish. Sides are pretty plain too. But there were only three small pictures given.
God bless you!
little lady

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Elkwoman

Do not get your hopes up but expect the worst from your e-bay purchase. That way at least you will not be disappointed.

Although some people have been happy, it is generally not a good idea to buy a violin online, sight unseen, and pictures can be so deceiving.

Also, violin labels can really not be trusted no matter what they may claim. Many of them are misleading if not outright false. There are a lot of Chinese companies out there putting labels with European names in their violins. Not that Chinese violins are bad, but it is very misleading when you see a European name in a Chinese violin.

I hope the best for you, but I got burned on e-bay once. It only takes once to learn.
Elkwoman46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi little lady...
Yes, I definitely am not sure what to expect, and so I have been trying to figure out what I exactly bought, but it really was not much of an investment, truly.
But regarding eBay, I have to say, if it wasn't for eBay, I would not have what I have. There is only one music store around here and they focus on pianos and guitars and some drums.
Truly, I am so thankful for eBay and what I have been so blessed to obtain.
I certainly would not mind having an exotic wildly flamed violin and have options to try some out at a store, but that may come in due time.
I was so priviledged last summer to try an electronic violin at a guitar store far away from home, and I was in love. But even so, all in due time. By the way, it was indeed so fun to realize that I could move my finger up and down the strings and all that; it was a different exciting experience.
Anyway, I appreciate the information that you provided on fake labels.
That is very interesting and I am certainly making note of that.
Thanks so very kindly.
Elkwoman46

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The violin came!

I looked at it closely and it does all appear to be real, nothing fake.
The only thing I could find inside were random stamped letters in red, I believe there is a "3", a Z or a N, a 9 or a 6, I believe all in like a stamped red ink.
Also, the actual color of the violin, turns out to be a very pleasant brown, a medium brown.
The top and back surfaces are very smooth, not grainy or texture type but feels very smooth.
There are a number of small dings around it, but actually helped me to see what was what better, and to show me that the wood underneath was the same on top as well, just a layer of stain and varnish. Some of the dings have yellowed.
I would not be surprised if all the black parts are real ebony.
Oh, although very plain, the maple back looks quite pretty for being plain.
Lots of little dots that sparkle in maple wood. It shimmers.

Anyone know what I possibly could have?
Age?
Thanks so very kindly.
mapleleaf_gal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post some pictures?
Elkwoman46

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings! I will try to take some pictures.

Now after I cleaned off the dust and polished it lightly with a small amount of Martin guitar polish, it looked much better. Then I carefully tuned it, and struggled greatly as it seems like it has nice strings on it, but obviously the neck was slack for sometime so after playing it for just a short while all the strings seemed to have gone down a note. However, the pegs seem to hold very well! I am delighted with how the pegs hold!
Also, when I cleaned it, I was so pleasantly surprised when I lightly cleaned the strings with rubbing alcohol the fingerboard did not remove any black paint! Nothing like that was happening, and I was just going Wow wow wow!
So, even so, with probably the climate changes, my DH believes this will all settle and tune up just fine and stay put.
Oh, and I did let the violin just sit for a long time before I did anything to it. And a case is on its way in the mail.
I have not figured out how to tune efficiently, as when I start on one end by the time I get to the last string the other side went flat again...grin. So, it takes me awhile. This has been happening to me on the other instruments I have as well.
Oh, one thing, I believe, at least at this point, it seems to be smoother in sound than my other violin, and the two lower strings play nicely. It is the highest string that is not perfect, but alright. I am thinking that perhaps it is the string? On my other violin it is the lowest string that kind of plays hard.
Shirley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elkwoman, this is all so interesting! Without a trusted shop or luthier within shopping distance, it is so hard! Won't it be fun, though, to find out someday more about your "find"? In the meantime, enjoy it as you are doing - you seem to be giving your new violin every loving care. Let us know any new developments?

Shirley
little lady

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: glad for you Reply with quote

Elkwoman

I am so glad you are pleased with your e-bay purchase. I have another friend who bought an e-bay violin that is really nice also. Her children have been studying violin with it, and all is going well.

Enjoy!
Elkwoman46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings to you! Little Lady, thank you so much for your message.
It warmed my heart.
Currently, I am getting all the extras lined up; had to get the extras, and in the meantime, I also bought another 3/4 violin from this same place!
And let me tell you, it is even better than the other one; I am so floored by this huge blessing. I am still reeling from all the excitement. So, I had to and am securing another case and the necessities. I have small fingers and so I opted for this one as well. Just know, none of this has been any great investment, but it sure has been the best of deals.
What a time in my life!
Oh, I almost forgot, regarding the 3/4, I carefully took my time gearing it up and polishing etc it, and then got to the place to slowly tune it, and well I could see that the E string was old and corroded, and it promptly broke. So, I do have various delays going on, but soon I'll get some replacement strings. I have been watching some instructional advice on the internet and so I see that people advise putting pencil graphite on area where the strings rest: peg, bridge and nut, and also advice to only change a string a day if possible in order not to do so much flexing on the bridge as the strings stretch and so forth. I guess somethings cannot be helped, but in this case, I might be able to go ahead and change all the strings over a few days, as I think they are old and so forth.
I think my 3/4 violin is in the realm of being an advanced violin; just a feeling. It is well used but in great shape as well. It was a deal of a deal for sure.
Elkwoman46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got some information regarding the 4/4 violin I had purchased. I was so excited to find some info. I was so excited that I found someone who knew about this! Totally amazed.
This is the basic info I got...
The full size violin was professionally made in China specifically for a professional violin shop in XXXXXXX XXXXX, the XXXXXXX Violin Shop. It is all hand-carved. This violin is a very good quality student-level instrument and retails in the professional shop for $750. If there is a label inside the instrument it probably has the year - if not, it is probably made in the last 2-3 years.
Bach

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good violin. So long as it's not pink. When I was just starting to play, my dad ordered a PINK $35 violin off eBay. Big mistake. It didn't even have a soundpost Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: