Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A rare opportunity... who will get the job???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: A rare opportunity... who will get the job??? Reply with quote

Anyone seen this?....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23179699/from/ET/
...maybe we should all email Mr Garrett and tell him Jeffrey Holmes is the man for the job!
Cheers, Mat
Jack H.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most likely get done by Rene Morell of Christophe Landon...
JWH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like he was carrying it loose in an oversize, unlined suit case. I doubt that would have happened as described with appropriate cushioning in some of our best hardlined cases. Could be wrong though.
mapleleaf_gal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like his case was not a good or correct one. if it was properly fitted in a case, then falling down a stairs would not cause it to fall apart into pieces.

and 26 yrs old with a million dollar instrument??? must be nice.....
MANFIO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the job of a professional Public Relations person... first the instrument was mentioned as a Strad, and that it was destroyed. Now it's a Guadagnini... There is a good discussion about that here:

http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=13246

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A rare opportunity... who will get the job??? Reply with quote

Mat Roop wrote:
Anyone seen this?....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23179699/from/ET/
...maybe we should all email Mr Garrett and tell him Jeffrey Holmes is the man for the job!
Cheers, Mat

Thanks Mat, but there are at least three colleagues I can think of off the top of my head, right there in London, I'd recommend.

http://holmesviolins.com
spystyle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWH wrote:
Sounds like he was carrying it loose in an oversize, unlined suit case. I doubt that would have happened as described with appropriate cushioning in some of our best hardlined cases. Could be wrong though.

I can not imagine a violin getting smashed to bits when rolled down stairs in a case! He used to be a model - I suspect that he was walking with the violin slung over his shoulder for effect then fell on it. I don't think it was in a case.

Then I suspect he was embarrassed and told the press it was in a case.

We'll never know though.

Are there any pics of the damaged violin?

Cheers,
Craig
mapleleaf_gal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spystyle wrote:
JWH wrote:

I can not imagine a violin getting smashed to bits when rolled down stairs in a case! He used to be a model - I suspect that he was walking with the violin slung over his shoulder for effect then fell on it. I don't think it was in a case.

Then I suspect he was embarrassed and told the press it was in a case.

We'll never know though.

Are there any pics of the damaged violin?

Cheers,
Craig

so, he was not even a player? if he wasnt, then why in the world are they letting some young kid touch an expensive instrument....
spystyle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was the soloist, but previously a male model. They are notorious for being stupid.

So my theory is, he was walking with the instrument slung over his shoulder for effect, then fell on it. Then, embarassed, he made up a lie that it was in the case.

I can not imagine a million dollar instrument with a cheap case.

I can not imagine an instrument in a quality case getting destroyed from a fall.

That's just my theory though, I'd like to see a pic of the damage.

Cheers,
Craig
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the only interview I read, he had it in a case, slung on his back, and fell backward down some concrete stairs. The kid was playing with big name orchestras as a soloist when he was eight years old...good looks don't necessitate stupidity.

I have known several people to fall on a case, and destroy the instrument inside, even though the case survived. I assume it flexed and the violin could not.

No reason to roast this youngster when he can't defend...he is a better player than any of us will ever be, and the fact that he moonlighted as a male model should not be held against him. (Why is it we want our female soloists young, beautiful, and dressed for the catwalk, but the male soloists must be dumpy, bald, or geeks? Is it envy?
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I think there is some confusion as to whether the instrument in question was a Strad or a Guadagnini, correct?

Second, that a 60,000 ($ or even GPB) repair is possible kind of indicates it wasn't "destroyed". That's not an unheard of amount for a restoration. The damage could easily have been severe... and may require the instrument to suffer some depreciation... but without even knowing for sure what the fiddle was, and what parts were damaged, I can't really comment in detail.

Third, accidents are just that. Accidents. Can't see why one would condemn the poor fellow without knowing what really happened (seeing what really happened). Yes, some accidents are the result of "stupidity", but it's not as though the fiddle was left under the wheel of a car or the case left on the car roof (yes, I've seen the result of both). Sounds like the poor fellow simply took a spill.

http://holmesviolins.com
spystyle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't roasting him, just speculating.

Since I wasn't there that's all I can do Smile
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spystyle wrote:
I wasn't roasting him, just speculating.

Since I wasn't there that's all I can do Smile

"He was the soloist, but previously a male model. They are notorious for being stupid. "

Sounds kind of like a roast to me...He is a pretty bright young star, by all accounts.

I fell down a flight of basement stairs as a young man. It can happen...and there is always someone who wasn't there, to tell HOW it happened.

In my case, I was wearing shower-shoes, and our large family dog was following too close, and stepped on the back of my flip-flop (as they are called today). That anchored my foot, and tripped me. I went head-over-heels bouncing down the stairs. If I had been carrying a fiddle, I can guarantee it would have been destroyed. As it was, I was carrying a large cat, and threw him clear as I fell. The cat and dog were both uninjured. Smile I took months to heal.
spystyle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains your empathy for the guy Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: