Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long should expensive strings last?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elkwoman46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: How long should expensive strings last? Reply with quote

I know I asked a very difficult question, because obviously it depends on many factors: how much it is used, humidity, sweat, etc. etc.

But in a most general term, if someone bought those $100 plus retail set of strings for a violin, perhaps paid half online, how long could these strings expect to last, let us say for someone who practiced regularly.
Perhaps I am asking what would be the minimum expectation for a real player, one who uses the instrument regularly?

Thanks.
Gizmo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Long time Reply with quote

I knew a woman who played in 3 community orchestras and at the time I relocated, she had been playing one set of Eudoxa for 2 years. (yes, "years")

However, she also used the most rosin of anyone I've observed and her strings were always heavily coated.

My surprise was that she did manage a "good" sound.
mapleleaf_gal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends. sometimes if the string is old by the time you get it, then it wont last as much. this is due to it sitting in a warehouse or shop too long because it is not a popular string. (this depends upon what kind of string you get. this applies more to gut core strings) also, freqent weather change and tuning will wear a string down. any string can last for a long time and not break. but they will start to sound "dead" after 4-6 mo. if you play several hours a day. most people who play/practice daily will need to change their strings 3-4 times a year in order to keep them sounding at their best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: