Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you think of those BOW RIGHT gadgets?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elkwoman46

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: What do you think of those BOW RIGHT gadgets? Reply with quote

I am referring to those wire things that you hook to your violin to help one to learn how to bow perpendicular to the strings???
Has anyone used them?
Does it work?
Are you happy that you used it?
Are these for any age?
Thanks so kindly.
God bless you.
mapleleaf_gal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know what you are talking about. i have never used one. but i'd imagine that i would not use an expensive wooden bow with it. you'll run the high risk of ruining it. maybe best to use a fiberglass bow? until you have graduated from using the device.

i, personally, just stand in front of a mirror and really watch what i am doing. i memorize the feeling once i acheive a straight bow. (muscle memory is what it is all about!)
Elkwoman46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your reply; I have been thinking about ordering one in a current order I am formulating with a music store online; it is actually a very good price but more than that, I think it would help me. I concur that one would not want to use any favorite bow on it. But some how as I think about all this, I think it would definitely help me, as I seem to concentrate more on where my left fingers are than the bowing. This would force me to get it right, and as they are saying, one should practice absolutely correctly always. No point in practicing incorrectly as it just makes it more of a bad habit. My bowing is still sloppy but getting better.
So, as I have been thinking about this for some days, I might as well just take the plunge and get one. I really want to get good, and I just don't have time to do bad bowing. Although I do watch YouTube here and there and I see that various performers are using all that area between the bridge and fingerboard. But I can envision that this gadget would at least help me to do that perpendicular motion across the strings better. Force my whole arm to do it right.
So, I just want to thank you sooooooooo much for your advice. I have been thinking about your message and I really, really, appreciate it.
God bless you in Jesus' Name.
Becky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never actually used a bow right device. I've considered having some of my students buy them, but never had them do it. The reason I didn't is partly because the local violin shop doesn't carry them (and I'd prefer to test it out before asking them to purchase it) and also because I want them to be actively thinking about their bowing. While I'm not opposed to the device, I think there would be a tendency to stop thinking about bowing and simply let the device do the work at keeping your bow straight. This could help your muscle memory and force you to use a straighter bow. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I just wonder if it would cause the user to relax too much and get him or her in the habit of not thinking about a straight bow. If the bow right device is not used, the violinist must pay extra attention to using a straight bow. Not only does the violinist get in the habit of bowing straight, but they also get in the habit of thinking about using a straight bow.

Your upper arm should be pretty still when you're bowing back and forth. (The upper arm should really only be moving when you are crossing strings.) If you have a tendency to move your upper arm when you bow, stand in a doorway or near a dresser and keep your upper arm against the doorway/dresser while you play. The doorway/dresser will keep your upper arm still and also make you more aware of just how much you move it. As Gal mentioned, it's also very beneficial to practice in front of a mirror. You don't even have to play a song. Just play open strings or a scale and focus on making nice long straight bows.
Elkwoman46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Becky, Thank you so kindly for your advice on bowing and this gadget.
I did add this to my order but I will cautiously use it to get me going in the right direction but not be dependent on it; actually, I think it probably will be something I will want to abandon quickly! I think just now though I want to really focus on hearing and where I am putting my left fingers. This is why I am having trouble bowing like I should. So I guess every time I ram by bow against the wire I'll adjust quickly! I'll let you know how it works if I can.
By the way, this is just over ten bucks with free shipping if spending over thirty dollars.
Bach

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never ever used one and probably never will. I use the mirror that works well enough fo rme. Unless I am actually playing some sort of organized music, then I concentrate on the notes and the fingering and not so much my bow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: