Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When is it time to change the bridge?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elkwoman46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: When is it time to change the bridge? Reply with quote

Regarding the 3/4 violin I bought. The bridge question...how can I tell? When is it at risk? Mine looks old and so forth, but, what are the things to watch for when it should be replaced?
Or is it about how the strings if they are sunk down? Or? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Is this something that is changed every so often? Or just when necessary?
Or?
Should I go ahead and order a backup while I am at it?
Thanks so very kindly.
Becky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strings need to be semi-frequently changed. Bows need to be semi-frequently rehaired. Bridges on the other hand don't often need to be replaced. There's nothing wrong with an old bridge, if the only "problem" is that it's old. If the bridge is warped then a new one needs to be made. If the height is wrong or if the strings have worn the grooves too deep then you'll need a new bridge (or at least adjustments made to the current one). sometimes bridges need a bit of adjustment, because after time they can move a bit out of place. It shouldn't take more than a minute for a luthier to move it back to the correct position and you definitely don't need a new bridge if that's the problem.
Even if you did need a new bridge, I would not order one. When you get a bridge, it will need to be fit for your violin (the feet need to be fit for the curvature of your violin. The height and shape of the bridge needs to be adjusted to fit your fingerboard). Bridges come oversize and too thick. In addition to being fit, they need to be thinned down to just the right thickness in different areas. Bridge fitting is not something a beginner violinist can do--in fact, the majority of advanced violinists couldn't fit a bridge. It's a task that is best left to a luthier--especially when you consider how much of an impact on sound the bridge has. If you need a new bridge, take your violin to a luthier and he or she can fit a new one for you. They tend to have bridges in stock. It's not something you need to bring to them.
Elkwoman46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Becky, okay I took that off my order. Thanks so much for all your advice. I thank you endlessly. I do see how the bridges are formed and altered and customized from the way that are made to sell or how they are purchased.
You have totally enlightened me this day.
Thank you so much.
mapleleaf_gal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bridge should be replaced if it looks warped (bent) or if the grooves underneath the strings are too deep. although you can just file down the bridge a little bit to make those grooves less deep. but DONT DO THIS YOURSELF!! take it to a shop. infact, you should not replace the bridge yourself unless you have had training to do so. you have to cut and fit the feet perfectly, there is a certain height for the string projection, certain curve to the bridge so your bow doesnt hit other strings. if the bridge is not warped and the grooves below the strings are not deep and the bridge is just dirty, then dont replace it. if you are in any doubt, take it to a shop and have them fix it. or if you live in the seattle area, i'll fix it! ha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: