Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quest for Strings
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdinphx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Quest for Strings Reply with quote

Greetings from Phoenix!

I've been lurking for awhile and thought I'd solicit for some help ...

After a fifteen year respite, I've finally returned to the violin. Everything seems to be coming back nicely -and- it would appear, at first blush, that my playing is now informed by a decade's worth of experiences, joys and woes.

I recently purchased a 2006 Walter Mahr, which came strung with Evah's. As the violin is already brash and edgy, the strings sounded LOUD and one dimensional. Interestingly, I enjoyed the tone much more when I played with a mute.

The Evah's found their way onto my 1920 Nicolas Pierre, which I played eexclusively in my younger days (for almost 20 years). This violin's tone has always been described as sweet, melodious and loving ... but lacking in projection. The Evah's found a new life on the Pierre; they are much richer, fuller and sonorous than they were on the 2006 Mahr. And consistent with everyone's experience, the Evah's improved projection exponentially (.. I'm sure! ..)

At any rate, I'm considering a set of gut strings to warm up and round out the tone of my Mahr. Of course, I've considered the new Passiones and the Olivs. My luthier is trying to sell me on the Vision Heavys as a viable synthetic alternative; I suppose if I went this route, the Vision Titaniums and Obligatos would also be a consideration.

I realize that it's next to impossible to make an assessment without actually hearing the violin (and knowing my expectations), but with what I've provided, any thoughts? I'd appreciate any and all feedback ...

PJ
Phoenix, AZ
Blue Line String Players
pdinphx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, I'd really like to warm up the tone and give it more depth ...

PJ
Phoenix, AZ
Blue Line String Players
Gizmo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Frightening Reply with quote

I see by the replies that your post has not attracted any (brave) volunteers. However, I am untrained, unschooled, shameless and without fear so here goes.

Today I put a Passionne "A" ( med.) on my favorite violin leaving the other perlon strings as is. ( I forgot what brand they are but I always use synthetics. )

This might be a good thing because I could hear the Passionne string in contrast to the remaining set of three. Wow, was I surprised. ( You want "dark" ? ) Great tone, character. Very emotional.

If this keeps up I will have to buy the other three Passionne strings and tolerate my wife saying "What, more strings ?"

(Playing violin)

Yeah, good. Very good.

I can only hope you will get the same result if you try them.

LL was right !
pdinphx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmo,

Thanks for the response ... I've given serious thought to the Passiones, though the cost is a bit prohibitive and I would hate to make a mistake at that price point.

I've also been corresponding with a violinist on the violinist.com website who plays an instrument of similar heritage (if there is such a thing) and have been convinced to give the Dominants (with a different E) a go.

Currently, I'm trying the Corelli Alliance Vivace A, D and G, complemented by a Hill (stark) E. The sound of the Corelli's was initially much like the Evah's, though after a week, they warmed up noticeably. The A is a little more lively; the D and G are not nearly as resonating or dark as I would like.

I will report next on the Dominants ...

PJ Kim
Phoenix, AZ
Blue Line String Players
Gizmo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Dominants Reply with quote

Well, the popular notion is that you can't go wrong with Dominants and I found them to be OK but I am being drawn to gut-type strings these days.

And yes, Passiones are more than I would want to gamble also. I once was told I could get free trial strings from Pirastro and they DID send me a free set but it is was a one-time deal. (Maybe they forgot me by now?)

Meanwhile I am forever in the hunt and my shoe box of strings is probably worth $300-400 by now. The problem might be that as I improve, strings start to sound better too. ( Or maybe it is all humidity !)

My Passione "A" is stretching a lot so I will have to give a little more time for a serious evaluation.
pdinphx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, I shied away from the Dominants precisely because they seemed so ubiquitous ... if that makes any sense.

If you look at the list of professional violinists who still rely on the Dominants, though, it's hard to argue against at least giving them a shot.

In fact, I'm sort of convinced now that Dominants establish the starting point for a violinist's string quest. So many luthiers to whom I've spoken first asked how my violin sounds with Dominants as a basis for string recommendations.

Just food for thought, I guess ...

PJ
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a client who is a viola player and was not quite happy with the dominants on her violin... she was always wanting a deeper tone tone. She tried the Violino strings and is a happy camper... Violino strings are not much more expensive than Dominants.
Cheers, Mat
Gizmo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Passione Reply with quote

The Passione "A" has settled down and I like the way it sounds and responds to the bow ...... I would have to say capable of more emotion than the usual perlon strings I have tried. The whole set might be as good but I have to back-track and re-visit my Eudoxas.
pdinphx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn it! And I thought I was going to be able to avoid the gut string bug!

I tinkered with the idea of doing a modified Oistrakh ... gut G & D, steel A and wound E. Geez, that makes life awfully complicated, though.

As for gut strings, the gauge choices are mind-boggling. What is the conventional wisdom here? Go thick, thin or middle-of-the-road?

PJ
Gizmo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Gut Reply with quote

The gut string bug can not be avoided, only ignored. I have not found any authority who says that synthetics are as good. This makes sense being that the holy violin design dimensions must have evolved with gut strings as a given (?)
I have only played Eudoxas in medium gauge and they were great but unstable (relative to perlon). However, I miss the sound and may go back to Eudoxas or, eventually, Passione.
I don't remember Obligatos as satisfying as Eudoxa.
I have tried some thin gauge in perlon strings and the sound was anemic but I guess they are OK on some violins (?)
Fiddledeedee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a web page with some information on strings. I don't know if it's what your looking for but mabey it will help. Once there you can read away. Or scroll down for their intake on the types of strings by brands mostly and read away there too. Good Luck

http://www.violinist.com/wiki/violin-strings/
Gizmo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Nice site Reply with quote

Yes DD, good info on strings but I don't remember any strings behaving for me just as advertised. Exception perhaps for Eudoxa.
I believe my particular violin has something to do with it.
I have learned not to put too much stock in what I read or word of mouth but only in what I buy and try and it has been a long road.
In addition, I don't think every violin woe can be solved by strings and all credit to any luthier who knows exactly where to put a sound post.
pdinphx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After shedding the Evah's, I tried a set of Corelli Vivace's ... same type of string, pretty much the same sound. They are lasting MUCH longer, though.

I just ordered the following from SHAR: Dominant (stark) G, Dominant (medium) D, Dominant (medium) A and Pirastro (stark) Gold E.

As I've never 'baselined' this violin, the Dominant setup with Pirastro E seemed like just to way to find ground zero -- from which I can make relatively informed adjustments, if necessary.

PJ
Gizmo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: History Reply with quote

Given your past string history the new set should be quite different and I hope you will give a report. I don't think I have ever read a real user report for "stark" strings (?)
pdinphx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiddledeedee wrote:
http://www.violinist.com/wiki/violin-strings/

Fiddledeedee, yes ... thank you, that is an excellent link. I've been using the violinist.com website as a resource for the past two months. It is an excellent website.

Gizmo,

You're absolutely right ... I've never used Dominants before, but have heard good things about them from a variety of sources.

The motivation to try a stark G string came from, of all places, violinist.com. Several violinists indicated that the tension of the heavy G, right on top of the violin's bass bar, really 'woke' their violins up. Sounded reasonable ... I thought I'd give it a shot.

I will definitely post my impressions after the strings settle in.

PJ
Phoenix, AZ
Blue Line String Players
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: