Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sheet Music Trade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to share your sheet music with others?
yes
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
no
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
mabey
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't read music, I only play by ear.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

Fiddledeedee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Sheet Music Trade Reply with quote

I was peeking around the site looking to see if members here share your sheet music.

I have some (few) copies of sheet music and scores, I'd like to share or trade if anyone is interested. I can scan and e-mail them to you. Or copy and ship it out.

My learning is not far advanced. But If everyone gets involved mabey we can denote a section for this share and trade of music and all types can be introduced by levels mabey. Just an Idea. Here's a few thing's I have incase anyone is interested. Lets run a poll and see.

Russian Lullaby by Irving Berlin
Pachelbel Canon in D for violin & piano arranged bySamuel Marder
Ashokan Farewell by Jay Ungar

I also have hundreds of Blue grass and Irish fiddle sheet music (scores).
Way to many to list. But if your looking for something specific or give me an idea of what you like I'd be happy to send something along.

I'm looking for sheet music. Song is called Kojo no Tuski (<--spelling?) Also know as Moonlight at the Ruined Castle. I'd like it in the form that Andrea Reiu perfroms it. I haven't had any luck finding it, and what I did find was for chours and in the nursery ryme addition.

So let me know if I can be of any help to you.
Shirley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiddledeedee ~ a kind thought, but there are copyright laws which may apply to much of the music you own. Very little is completely in the "public domain," because the publishers copyright even the old stuff.

I'm sure the administrators of this site could tell you more specifically what is possible and what is not.

It is a great temptation to help out a fellow musician by copying a piece of music, but on a grand scale, or in a public forum, it is to be discouraged. I will look forward to hearing what the "authorities" here have to say!

You have a good heart, though.

Shirley
Fiddledeedee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shirley,

Ya know I didn't think of it that way. I can understand how it could create a problem in the future. I didn't mean for anyone especially this forum to get into trouble at all. I share my music now with my friends and vise/versa, and I thought it would be a good idea to share here too, but I didn't think far enough into it. Embarassed Thanks for the heads up.

If the administrators want to delete this thread please do. I apologise for not thinking ahead.
Gizmo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: No Authority Reply with quote

Not an authority here, Shirley, but I think you are right. No copy!

But I have been wondering ..... if I used a piece of piano music to dream up music for a violin, viola, cello and oboe arrangement, is that an infringement ? How about if my quartet added a descant and changed a few other notes around ?? How about a totally revised measure ?

Hmmmmm ???
Shirley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmo (and Fiddledeedee)- I'm no authority either, but I do believe that just about anything you do to change music for your own use is OK. People change the written music in many ways, to make it easier, or whatever, all the time. I'm supposing that would be called "stylizing." But that is an interesting question!

Sometimes we all copy one or two sheets for our own use, such as a sheet for out partner for a duet, if two sheets are not supplied - that kind of thing. Most musicians that I know buy the originals if it is possible to do so.

One thing - I think music teachers or those engaged in teaching orchestras, get special dispensations for students, after buy the complete score, or such. Professional groups have to buy all the music, AND pay roayaties every time they play the thing. That is one reason putting on a performance is so expensive.

I only know what I've been told, so I'm sure there are those here who have first-hand information.

Shirley
Shirley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiddle: Your name recalls one of my husband's favorite limericks:

There once was a dentist name Fiddle
Who refused to accept his degree.
Said he, It is enough being "Fiddle,"
Without being "Fiddle D.D."

Sorry - couldn't resist! Shirley

PS Please excuse my typos in my previous posts - Thank you!
Gizmo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Har, har Reply with quote

Har, Har !! Cute !

Shirley,

I used to know someone who was on the board of directors for a 50 piece community college orchestra. They told me that they usually played some really obscure ( a.k.a. horrible) music because it was cheap to rent the score. I had complained that I never heard of most of the music they played. I also think other people agreed which may have been a factor in the small audiences.
Shirley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmo - interesting observation!

Shirley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: