Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Spirit Varnish DVD?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shershey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: How to Spirit Varnish DVD? Reply with quote

Fellow Luthiers,

Would anyone out there be interested in this topic? Or owning this type of DVD? I am in the process of creation a script for one and to see if it might be worth completing. Takes a bunch of time and money to do an entire DVD, if there is little interest, I may shelve the idea for a while.

Let me know your thoughts and what content you might want to see covered.

Thanks much, Scott
Mauricio Aguiar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I use oil varnish almost everytime, I would definitely buy one of your DVDs. Boldly speaking, I´d be interested in learning about your beautiful ground technique Wink

Another thing I´d consider very useful would be learning the limits of what is acceptable in terms of evennes of application throughout the process. In other words, what will even out in the long run and what is beyond fixable.

Lastly, a chapter on different formulas and their respective typical tonal effect would make it an ideal point reference, but that maybe asking too much.

All in all, simply watching someone who has done it hundreds of times varnishing an instrument would be useful in itself.
fiddlemaker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also be interested. I would like to see the whole process from the ground to the final coat. I use spirit varnish but invariably end up with a splotchy place usually on the spruce. Do you have any idea what you would charge for the dvd?
shershey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Spirit Varnish DVD Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Some good topics and most are already on my outline. I will also consider those that are not.

I agree, seeing someone do this is the best experience and in addition, being able to pause, go back, review over and over at your own pace is even better.

As for the price I am not sure yet. I am in pre-production now and after post production is done, I will have a better idea on my costs.

Any more comments on content would be appreciated.

Thanks to those so far that did.

Scott.
shershey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: How to Spirit Varnish DVD Reply with quote

This project is moving along quite nicely and we are in the video stages of this production. I will be posting "outtake" photos, as I go along and as time permits. If you would like to learn more about this DVD go to: www.hersheyviolins.com/news/2007/0419.php

Thank you, Scott.
Leif Luscombe
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Scott,

Though this is a "non-commercial" web site, I give permission for you to post a link to sell this DVD once it is in production, with a caveat that it is limited to this thread, and that I reserve the right to change my mind.

I think it wil be a very useful reference, I may even be interested in one myself.

Cheers.
shershey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Spirit Varnish DVD Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I shall keep you informed on my progress. Shooting is currently taking place. Looking for an August '07 release date.

Thanks again, Scott.
shershey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: How to varnish DVD update Reply with quote

Chapters filmed so far (not necessarily in order):

1. Preparing the White Instrument

2. Preparing the Top Plate Sealer and Application

3. Making Your Ground Varnish

4. Preparing the Ground Pre-Stain and Application

5. Spirit Varnish Resins

There are about 13 chapters in all, give or take a few. The project is moving along nicely with a little filming being done every day. I hope to have all sequences shot and in the can by the end of May and then the difficult job of editing will begin in June and July. Final project should be available for distribution mid-August.

Hershey Violins
shershey

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: How to Spirit Varnish DVD Reply with quote

Well, another week just flew by!! Yikes! Where does the time go??? All of my preparation video shooting is completed. From making stains, plate sealers, ground varnish varnish resins to making a varnish recipe. And more. So far it looks like this whole DVD will be about 1:15 to 1:50 hrs in length "Soup to Nuts".

This DVD will benefit the novice as well as the professional maker, just looking to add some new techniques to their varnishing process. Mostly though, it's for the new makers out there. This step-by-step video will certainly enable the first timer to gain confidence in this otherwise difficult spirit varnishing process. It's just like sitting in my shop while I'm varnishing, only better. You get to pause it and take a beer break anytime you want!

Next week, I will begin my "live" application videos. Once they are completed the editing process shall begin.

I will report in next week. Meanwhile, if you have any questions just fire them off to me.

Thanks, Scott W. Hershey
shershey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: How to varnish DVD update Reply with quote

Fellow Luthier,

All scenes are shot and the editing process is currently underway on my "How to Spirit Varnish" DVD.

Looks like it will be 90min. in length. Probably more information presented than a professional would need but, this DVD is presented for the entry level maker as well. The one nice thing about a DVD is the ability to skip to the parts you that you are most interested in.

If you have ever wanted to watch this spirit varnishing process first hand, now's your chance. From the ground coats to the polishing out process, no stone has been unturned. You will also be guided through the ground coat and varnish making process. Along with color tinting of your varnish.

I'm still looking at a delivery/availability date of this August.

To learn how you can get your copy visit: hersheyviolins .com

Thank you,
Scott W. Hershey
Hershey Violins
shershey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: How To Varnish DVD Reply with quote

Still going strong and more content than I can shake a pencil at.

The voice-over section is 1/3 completed and I never ever talked so much. Yikes!!

I'm probably going to boar the professional luthiers out there to death!!! But, I wanted to include the new maker in this process. Yeah, I know "Less is more" but, the beauty of DVD is the pause, slo-motion and fast forward capabilities on the remote.

If you can't make or apply a spirit varnish after viewing this tutorial DVD...you better choose another varnishing technique.

It's still at about 90min in length and I may do some additional cutting but, not much. I did a little test burn over the weekend and those that saw the first 10 minutes, really liked it. I must admit though, they were mostly family members, what else would they say??

I'm planning on a mid to end August release time and early orders will be shipped first.

I'll check in later to give you another update.

Scott W. Hershey
hersheyviolins.com
shershey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: How to varnish DVD latest update 7.20.07 Reply with quote

Hi again luthier's

Here's the latest on my DVD. I just blew-out the memory capability of my Mac. and had to move to an external 250gig hard drive to house my working files. YIKES! But, my final scripting is done and I only have 10 more minutes of audio to voice over and this puppy is done!! Wala!!

The next step will be to have it proofed, tweak a few spots, then do a final save and burn it to a DVD program for production. It's still a bit over 90min. in length.

This has been a real experience and a real time consumer to boot. I will look forward to seeing it go out the door, at the end of the month!

Those that have already placed their orders will be the first ones to receive a copy of this DVD. "Reserve" pre-payments for this first shipment will cut off on August 10, 2007. If you would like to get in on this first shipping wave just visit hersheyviolins.com for ordering and payment information.

Thanks to those, that have already pre-ordered and to all of you that have been patiently awaiting this DVD release.

Scott W. Hershey
Violin Maker
shershey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: How to Spirit Varnish DVD Reply with quote

OK, OK, I know, it's late!!!

But (and there's always a butt), it is off to the production house!!! Yeah!!

I am awaiting word from them right now on news about the files I sent them. Like, is the quality of the disk I sent them what they need?? It should be but, (there it is again) you just never know. If the quality is right they tell me they will burn the disks and have my order back within 2 weeks. I will believe it when I sees it!

Bottom line is... it's done and in production. Thank all of you for being so patient during this lengthy production. I believe it is well done and very informative BUT, I'll have to wait for the critical reviews to come in, once this DVD is released. It's the "sticks and stones" thing!

I should begin filling orders the first week in Sept.

To learn more about this DVD @hersheyviolins.com

Scott W. Hershey
shershey@hersheyviolins.com
shershey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI to all ships at sea!

My supplier tells me the DVD's will ship Sept. 12, 2007. Yep, that's what they tell me. I'll believe it when I sees it!

This should be about right, all proofs were approved last week and that included the disk art. Soooo, I should begin shipping Sept. 19th.

Thanks for being so patient. I hope this DVD was worth the wait? Enjoy!

Scott W. Hershey
hersheyviolins.com
shershey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipping News on the new "How to Spirit Varnish" DVD.

All orders will begin shipping Wed. Sept. 19, 2007.

Thanks to all for being so patient.

Enjoy.

Scott Hershey
hersheyviolins.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: