Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

violin making
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seahawkwalt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: violin making Reply with quote

Hello. I am interested in making violins. I have decided on the book "The art of violin making" for my reference based on reviews. I have zero experience with woodworking unfortunately. Are there any instructional videos one could recommend? Secondly, how can I locate any close seminars? I live in Athens, Tn. It would be difficult with my family/work situation to attend a seminar for 1 to 2 weeks...are there any online or short seminars? Lastly, where can I find a list of required tools? (how much would you estimate the total cost for the required tools?) And where would the most economical place to buy them be? I appreciate any input and thanks in advance.
Seahawkwalt Smile
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was expecting people to jump all over this... If you are a doctor, you will have no trouble with the level of instruction given in any books on lutherie. If you really are fearful about the tools, I can only tell you that it is not all that tough to get used to.

I guess I would suggest supplementing the Johnson/Courtnall book you already got with "Violinmaking, Step-by-Step" by Henry Strobel. It has things in a pretty orderly, uncluttered style of writing, and gives tool lists, etc. Ver simple book by comparison. (I have both, among others...)

You could either use Henry's pattern (included in the book) or buy a poster from "The Strad"--say, the "Milanollo", or another one (everyone has favorites). The only reason I'm suggesting the Milanollo is that (a) Michael Darnton recommended it, and (b) I happen to know it has all the measurements you need, and some of the other posters (the Kreisler for example) do not.

Learning to adequately sharpen tools could be a challenge. I'll bet there is someone near your location who could give you some pointers, though.

I tried to look up Athens on Google, and drew a blank-- where in the state are you located? I have a friend in Afton who makes violins, and is a fine woodworker, to boot.

Chet Bishop
Seahawkwalt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mr. Bishop. I live in Athens, Tn. (where the point of N Carolina hits Tn). I will certainly check out Strobel's book. I have a few patients who are woodworkers so I would say sharpening wouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure where Afton is but I will check.
Seahawkwalt
dwdougherty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: violin making Reply with quote

Seahawkwalt wrote:
Are there any instructional videos one could recommend?

There are precious few violin making videos out there. Henry Strobel has a cello-making DVD, but I can't recommend it as I haven't seen it. There are three videos that I can recommend, though, and all are available at Stewart-MacDonald: Violin Setup with Paul Newson, Violin Bow Rehairing with Roger Foster, and How To Spirit Varnish with Scott Hershey.

For sharpening, I recommend the following: (1) For carving tools: Sharpening Simplified with Everett Ellenwood; (2) For plane irons and chisels: (a) Hand Tool Techniques Part 1: Plane Sharpening and (b) Hand tool Techniques: Precision Preparation of Chisels for Accurate Joinery with David Charlesworth; and (3) For scrapers: Hand Scrapers: Understanding, Preparing and Using the Ultimate Finishing Tool with Christopher Schwarz.

You will need to acquire some basic hand tool skills: planing (i.e., planing a block of wood "six sides square"), carving, scraping, drilling, etc. As Chet said, it's not rocket science, but if you have never picked up chisel or plane before, you should consider a local hand tools basic skills class. There are lots of woodworking schools around; you might even find classes are your local Woodcraft retail store (if you have one in your area).

Seahawkwalt wrote:
Lastly, where can I find a list of required tools? (how much would you estimate the total cost for the required tools?) And where would the most economical place to buy them be?

Johnson & Courtnall will have a good list of tools you'll need; start there.

There are lots of places to find tools: local hardware stores, big boxen (e.g., Home Depot), local flea markets, internet click and order stores. Here are a couple of my favorite haunts:

Lee Valley; can almost be a one-stop shop for most of everything you'll need except for some specialty tools.

Stewart-MacDonald

DICK Gmbh

Diefenbacher Tools

Japan Woodworker

Tools for Working Wood

McMaster-Carr; lots of bits and bobbles

Howard Core

As to total cost: it really depends on the quality of the tools you buy. If you want top-end everything, you could spend thousands. Fortunately, you won't need much in the way of power tools to start with. I get by with only a small band saw and a bench-top drill press. Everything else is done by hand.
ollieken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: bow rehair Reply with quote

Also Bow Rehair by Craig Tucker is a good dvd
CRAIG TUCKER
E-mail Address(es):
ctviolin55@msn.com
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DonLeister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seahawkwalt,

Violinmaking is different from woodworking, sharpening , tool knowledge and techniques are very specific (types and sizes of gouges, sharpening technique, hardness of steel,...) so going with woodworker's knowledge will not be on course, and can mean buying the wrong tools $ , learning bad habits. (time)
The books by Courtnall Johnson and Strobel are very helpful. I suggest reading online posts by Michael Darnton, on Maestronet, especially for tools and technique. He is very practical, and takes a workbench, no nonsense approach, like no other.
An investment now of a week workshop at SCAVM would put you years ahead and steer the ship in the right direction at the start!
Don Leister
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"SCAVM would put you years ahead and steer the ship in the right direction at the start"

Couldn't agree more! I really wish I had gone to a workshop the first year, instead of the third or fourth, and had gotten a good teacher on the first violin, instead of the eighth. i would have saved a lot of time and frustration.

Chet Bishop
Todd Glover

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet Bishop wrote:
I guess I would suggest supplementing the Johnson/Courtnall book you already got with "Violinmaking, Step-by-Step" by Henry Strobel. It has things in a pretty orderly, uncluttered style of writing, and gives tool lists, etc. Ver simple book by comparison. (I have both, among others...)

You could either use Henry's pattern (included in the book) or buy a poster from "The Strad"--say, the "Milanollo", or another one (everyone has favorites). The only reason I'm suggesting the Milanollo is that (a) Michael Darnton recommended it, and (b) I happen to know it has all the measurements you need, and some of the other posters (the Kreisler for example) do not.

Chet Bishop

Chet,

I found the Strad via google and looked for the Milanollo poster and didn't find it. As I am researching building a violin I was excited to hear of this type of poster for my shop wall. Is there anywhere else it might be purchased?

Thank you.

Todd
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Milanollo poster is out of print, but the 'Kruz' is still available.

There is a vast amount of information available online in various lutherie or violin-making forums. Including many threads by beginners talking about their adventures.
Todd Glover

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any you'd care to point to? I've looked at a few of the other forums, but this is the first I registered to.
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestronet is a good one, and on specific topics it will point you to any others which might be helpful.
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one fellow's website telling about his first violin.

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Stringed_Instruments/index.php?showtopic=16

Here's his home page.
http://www.welshviolin.com/

There are many others.

Chet
Todd Glover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers.

I became interested in making violins when an opportunity came up for me to pick up some "very" old violin parts that had not been finished or assembled.

I need to try my hand at building a few before I dive in on this other material, so I'm sure I'll be asking many questions.
MANFIO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently posted a neck and scroll carving tutorial here sometime ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
Jack H.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MANFIO wrote:
I recently posted a neck and scroll carving tutorial here sometime ago.

recently sometime ago??
Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: