Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning by Ear
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newbie08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Learning by Ear Reply with quote

Hi, Im 24 and attempting to teach myself to play the violin. I played the cello for 2 1/2 years in grade school, and also taught myself to pluck out some tunes on the piano and guitar, so Im fairly musically inclined.

I've got a pretty good ear and have taught myself several songs from a suzuki beginner violin cd that someone gave me.

Are there any good resources for learning by ear? I saw the thread that recommended books/sites to teach yourself and I will definately check some out but if anyone has any thoughts/recommendations about learning by ear I would appreciate it!

My idea is to learn some songs and eventually bring in some technique through books (I often get bored of the basics and shoot ahead... but then I get stuck on the harder songs that involve posture and finger/bow position)

Thanks!
Gizmo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

For my education.

What is learning by ear ?
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_music_by_ear
Cheers, mat
Gizmo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Good Reply with quote

Now that I know what it is, I wonder if it is supposed to be good compared to notation ?

Maybe Suzuki should emphasize sight reading of unknown material.

One professional told me that sight reading in an orchestra was a critical
skill because the conductor did not allow much time for learning. But I have seen CD's passed out at the local community level.
Shirley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie - are you interested in folk music? Any country? Those guys often eschew the "little black dots" and learn by listening and watching. Some of those players are amazing! And the fun - boy!

Otherwise, I'm not sure what you are doing will help you learn more classical stuff. Technique is prime, as you probably know from your cello days. We all understand the "wanting to go on ahead" desire, and, like you, find we get stuck later on.

There are many fiddlers here, I believe, who could help you in that area - a technique is, of course, still necessary, but in some ways you can have your own technique, as long as you get the sound you want. I hope some fiddlers do, indeed, answer you.

And Good luck! Shirley
mapleleaf_gal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzuki method is a "learning by ear" based method. you learn notes, but you rely more upon your ear. we (music majors in college) use to joke about how suzuki method kids could not sight read to save their life. buy the book. buy the disc. learn them both. Razz
Gizmo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Say What ? Reply with quote

Dear Music Major

Are you reporting that the "play by ear" crowd can only play anything they can first whistle ?? Doesn't this result in havoc in an orchestral setting ?

What would be the Suzuki objective in promoting "play by ear" ?

I play a little by ear particularly when I can't turn the page quick enough.

Confused in NC
Shirley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmo, I have not been involved in actual Suzuki instruction, but from reading the material, and biographical information concerning Dr. Suzuki, I believe that the philosophy behind having little kids "Learn by ear" is based on the idea that kids learn to talk before they learn to read. And any child should have the opportunity to make music.

The note reading comes later, I believe, and if a student shows particular musical ability, I have read that the teacher is encouraged to get that student to a traditional teacher, post haste.

Problems arise, I have heard, when the "method" is misapplied to older students, or takes the student past where he/she should be learning to read notes. (One cannot play in an orchestra if one does not read music - except, perhaps, for a genius of a fast learner and memorizer, but it sure would be difficult, as orchestras play so many compositions in a short period of time.)

How interesting it would be if a good Suzuki teacher would come on here to explain more accurately than I am able to. (My teacher does use the Suzuki books, as I believe many "traditional" teachers do, mainly because the student is given real tunes, right from the start, graduated as to difficulty.)

Good luck to everybody! Shirley
Gizmo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley,

I enjoy the liberties of being practically unschooled about everything so I can ask dumb questions, and this is it ....... is the contemporary virtuoso violin world dominated by former Suzuki students ? Or, what tangible results exceeds benefits of other methods ?

Still Confused in NC

PS I do have a couple of Suzuki books and I think the selections are great and the books are valuable learning material but I have probably learned more from other method books. Then too, I have not gone the full Suzuki route.
Shirley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Gizmo - that is a good question, concerning current violin "biggies" having started with Suzuki - I have heard of one or two, though I can't remember their names right now - and I was surprised. I would expect the majority had traditional private teachers, but maybe someone here knows?

Keep asking questions!

Shirley
Gizmo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Interesting Reply with quote

Here is a relevant site about popular methods.

http://musiced.about.com/od/beginnersguide/tp/vbooks.htm
Gantafistor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

There's also the fact that the japaneses, chineses are more been used to learn by ear than all others civilisations on Earth. The fact is that Mandarin is a language who need many variations of the voice... a bit like if they always speak in "recitative" (like in an opera) and since their youthness they used all to developped an excellent listening and The Susuki method is probably for them a regular method cause it's related with their "habits".

Well this is my opinion... I which it will clear some minds Razz

Ganta
Gizmo

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: What Reply with quote

Does the oriental keen sense of musical hearing also explain why their school students seem to academically blow away their US of A counterparts ?
Gantafistor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is for sure a real fact in musical education! And yes, it can explain greatly the phenomenon about orientals who are studying in America... Whenever, this phenomenon is going to disapear soon because it will surprise me that the children of actual students or musicians oriental will learn the language of their roots(badly Sad ).

... but eh Gizmo, for knowledge, how many "american reputed classical violonist" could you name?? P.S.: Don't answer Itzhak Perlman because he is NOT a native american AND he learn violin at his native land so forget it!Razz).

Ganta
Gizmo

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Classics Reply with quote

I was never under the impression that
America produces or produced the worlds finest violinists.

However, the oriental language bit is just another excuse for America falling behind in yet another cultural area. Maybe we got it but we don't own it (anymore).
Incidentally, what is the excuse for the fast rise of the orientals in the world of competitive ice skating ?? They hear better ????????????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: