Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new looking old viola
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shirley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfio - wouldn't that be funt ot read?

FiddleDough - OK for you, Buddy! (But I'll have to file that one with my viola joke collection.)
MANFIO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shirley! I think I read that in a Strad Magazine, perhaps 20 years ago...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This particular viola wouldn't relate to that letter--this varnish is more like the earlier French makers like Guersan and Salamon used, though you also will find it on French instruments up into the early 1800s.
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWH you give the impression that you don't understand how violin identification works. Your imputation of faith-based thinking to 'pro-Messiah' experts seems patronizing and, if indeed it comes from a position of ignorance, it would be gratuitous as well as rude.

You may find it useful to look into the issue a bit further, in which case you would find out, among other things, that modern experts don't mistake Vuillaumes for Stradivari violins.

You would also realize that Michael's dollar analogy is correct because the veracity of a dollar is found through physical examination by someone with the necessary knowledge. Provenance is mere gravy in the identification of violins by important makers. It seems you've been wrestling with a straw man.
JWH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"JWH you give the impression that you don't understand how violin identification works. Your imputation of faith-based thinking to 'pro-Messiah' experts seems patronizing and, if indeed it comes from a position of ignorance, it would be gratuitous as well as rude."

You don't need to label me as gratuitous and rude. The violin is controversial. You want to label the dendrology folks rude for making an effort to validate or not validate even though now one group is winning out on public opinion about those conclusions. I don't follow a goat herd like some people do and criticize open discussion or research. You have a right to your opinion. And yes contrary to what Manfio said, it's my understanding that Vuillaume did make several copies of the Messiah.

Let's try and calm the personal criticisms....It's easy to label someone ignorant and rude to inflate a sense of ego.
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWH wrote:
The violin is controversial. You want to label the dendrology folks rude for making an effort to validate or not validate even though now one group is winning out on public opinion about those conclusions. I don't follow a goat herd like some people do and criticize open discussion or research. You have a right to your opinion. And yes contrary to what Manfio said, it's my understanding that Vuillaume did make several copies of the Messiah.

Let's try and calm the personal criticisms....It's easy to label someone ignorant and rude to inflate a sense of ego.

JWH. I'm not trying to be insulting, or calling you rude, but I have to say that you're doing as much "following" as anyone... just a different herd. The labeling thing seems to be going both ways. If we're going to discuss the issue, let's ALL avoid the sound-bites, OK? The "question authority" thing was already well engrained in many of us (especially us boomers)... Best not to think of each other as sheep.

Have you ever visited the Messiah? How 'bout Il Cannone?

The Messiah testing was certainly controversial. Admittedly, this is over simplifying things, but let's see... The first test (the one that got all the press) was performed by Pollens & Co. (competing museum curator) based on measurements taken from a photograph. The second was by Topham & Co. (arguable bias), but from measurements taken directly from the instrument. Topham's findings did not support the first test's findings. At this point, the first dendrochronologist withdrew his findings, but wouldn't go so far as to support Topham & Co.'s findings. The third test was sponsored by the VSA (I'm the treasurer of that organization, BTW), pretty much unbiased, with measurements taken directly from the instrument. The third test did not support the results of the first. Hmmm... From what I can tell, the third test got the least press. Not surprising, I guess.

Let's go back to Vuillaume for a second. I've bought and sold, handled on consignment, repaired and restored a good number of Vuillaume "copy" instruments (Alard; both Strad and del Gesu models, Amatis, etc.). They look like very nice Vuillaume renditions of the originals... but they look like Vuillaumes.

Yes, Vuillaume did make a number of Messiah copies. They look like very nice Vuillaumes, based on the Messiah. He also made a limited number of Cannon copies.. I've seen a few of them as well... sold one... and service another regularly. They look like very nice Vuillaumes, but based on the Cannon. I think accepting the Pagannini story (the one you retold earlier in the thread) is probably a form of "swallowing" things whole.

I already mentioned that it appears Rocca was employing the model before Vuillaume acquired the Messiah... I think that would be difficult if it were a Vuillaume creation, no? Smile

BTW; Vuillaume handled (acquired & sold) a really impressive number of very fine Italian instruments (around 150 by some counts). A fairly good number of those can be connected with Tarisio as well. Are you questioning all of them?

As Andres mentioned, provenance is not the primary tool for identification of instruments. Pollens argues that the provenance of this particular violin is more important than others. Maybe he's right, but I think it's still not the primary tool that should be used for authentication. The prevailing expertise accepts the Messiah as a Strad. It's OK if you don't. You're not the first. Anyway, if I win the lottery, and it ever goes up for sale (doubtful anyway), I'll be comforted that there will be one less competing bid to contend with.

Just for kicks, for those who don't know the history of the Messiah; It was supposedly acquired by Cozio when he purchased the remains of the Stradivari estate from Paolo Stradivari, then it was acquired by Tarisio from Cozio's estate, acquired by Vuillaume from Tarisio's estate, inherited by Alard from Vuillaume's estate, sold for Alard's heirs by Hill to Crawford, re-acquired by Hills and sold to Bennett, again acquired by Hills and given to the Ashmolean (I think I got that all correct. Let me know if I missed an owner).

Cordially,

http://holmesviolins.com

Last edited by Jeffrey Holmes on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"JWH. I'm not trying to be insulting, or calling you rude, but I have to say that you're doing as much "following" as anyone... just a different herd. "

yes...people fall into groups, and then theres those that don't fall into groups, however try as they might, they still are in a group of people that don't fall into groups, so thus a group...the only way to be groupless is to be autistic and just listen to the voices in your head.....works great for me

the voice says....in a loud thunderous god like voice...jessupe....you are an instant expert know it all, you will see the experts lips move, but you will not hear what they say,its not because they are not right,its because you don't care to understand....you are an idiot....i just smile knowingly and adjust my polyester pants......oh ya whos bad

esoteric agendas abound...but not with "that" messiah
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make no pretense of having the answers, and have never been east of Detroit, very much...so I have never visited Oxford, nor especially Italy. Maybe someday...if I ever get to go, I will definitely take the time to go see the Ashmolean collection.

One of the things that continues to impress me is the accuracy with which the REAL experts can immediately recognize the work of a given maker. Michael Darnton (I think it was him, anyway) told once about a particular guy flicking through Michael's "flashcards" (from which he was teaching himself to recognize the various makers), and after the first few, declared that "this is too easy!" and turned all the photos upside down, to "up the ante", but still flicked through without hesitation, correctly naming the maker of every single instrument in the stack of cards.

When those guys (the real experts) discuss the "Messiah" Strad, one thing they seem to concur on is that IF Mr. Stradivari is not the maker, then they do not know who it is, because it is NOT x, y, z (list of the other known makers of the proper time-frame), as they would recognize their work.

Most seem to agree that it is the work of Stradivarius, though there are some oddities. But then (I think), the man made 1200 instruments, over several decades of work, and they DO differ from one another...why would it be unthinkable that this one should have something a little different about it, when we only have about half his total output to compare to?

To me, it isn't really worth arguing over. If I ever get to where I can make a good enough violin that one of those experts would see a photo of my work, and say, "Ah, yes! Chet was doing pretty good work at that time..." I would be thrilled. Right now, it would be "sigh...cottage-industry; self-taught; maker unknown..." and move to the next photo.

(And they'd be right again!)
arglebargle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah?
I don't even think the "Messiah" is a violin.
Oh sure, it LOOKS like a violin, but who can really say?
Besides, I made it, whatever it is.
GuyGallo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Messiah is a "controversial violin" only because a certain number of people ASSERT that it is controversial.

In the same way that the Apollo moon landings might be said to be controversial because there are a number of people who assert loudly that the landings happened in Nevada.

The actual controversy over the dendro has been settled for some time.

I don't know of any serious violin experts, appraisers or players -- especially those that have seen the instrument -- have any doubt as to its authenticity.

As for why it was hanging on Strad's wall at the time of his death... isn't it possible that after he completed it it sounded horrible? Or at least not up to his standards? That may also account for why it is played so infrequently.

I think the only person who praised it's sound was a player who heard it while it was moving from Alard's estate to the Hills... at which point it vanished from site until the Ashmolean gift.
Jack H.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I dont find it too unreasonable that nearly after a lifetime of a maker making things he makes one that he thinks is more beautify than every other violin, of even say to himself that he wants one of these famous Stradivari violins for himself...
Not too unreasonable at all.

Heck maybe it was so long since he made one all by himself that he wanted to show himself that he still had what it takes do do it from a to z...his self.

J
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet is correct--it was Robert Bein who did so well identifying from photos. He also walked into the shop one day when someone had brought in a violin he'd never seen before, and from across the room, before the door swung closed said "where'd the Betts come from" and he was right about that. I saw him do similar things many times. People who can do that don't need descriptive details to recognize a violin any more than you need a photograph to compare with to recognize your brother.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: