Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mutter Better ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gizmo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Mutter Better ? Reply with quote

pdinphx reported in another thread that A.S. Mutter was using a Corelli viola "A" on her violin maybe to emphasize a "darker" sound.

A check of one major string maker showed that the viola strings had slightly higher tension specs contrary to a "dark" sound.

Viola strings (16") on a violin (14") would need only 75% of normal tension due to shorter string length so the idea seemed viable. ( I had previously figured that the tension reduction would be linear at 16:14 but that is not correct.)

It happened that I had some old viola strings (A,D) and I put them on my violin after cutting off about 1" to match the violin string lengths.

The new sound is great. As good as the best I have heard from this particular violin and maybe even better. My final judgement will have to wait for a week or two but so far, so good.

The violin I am using tended to sound very treble and sounded terrible with high tension Evahs.
pdinphx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmo,

You are da man ... I had thought about duplicating Anne Sophie Mutter's string configuration, but was reluctant to spend the cash on another bum lead.

Incidentally, which brand of viola string did you use?

PJ Kim
Phoenix, AZ
Gizmo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Strings Reply with quote

The fact is that I used a couple of perlon strings that were originally on an Ebay 16" viola but I also looked at some other low end name brands and I will upgrade if the good sound continues.

I'm noticing that the violin is really mellowing out, including the two strings I did NOT change ....... G and E ....... probably due to the lower total tension loading on the body (?).

I THINK the Violino viola strings looked interesting.
Gizmo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: correction Reply with quote

NOT Violino strings ....... Dominant for Viola ...... not too pricey.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: