Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inside corpus coatings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
actonern

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Inside corpus coatings Reply with quote

Sacconi's book claims that Stradivari would coat the inside of his violins prior to gluing the top with 2 coats of the same preparation that he put on the outside of his violins... controversial as his thinking is on what that was...

Basic cabinetry wisdom is that coating both sides of a wood panel with the same preparation is beneficial to avoid subsequent warpage due to differential moisture absorption.

Is there any good evidence that cremonese instruments were routinely coated on the inside with anything?

Best regards,
MANFIO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used Sacconi's vernice bianca on the inside (but not the silicate), but I'm thinking about not using it on the viola I'm going to close this week.

Samuel Zygmuntowicz said in the Dartington Conference (1995) that:

"Carl Becker certainly thought that someting water soluble was used. Renè (Morel) thought that something resinous was applied; they're usually dirty so it's quite hard to tell. Personally I can't resist the opportunity to make some effect on the inside, so I do use something, different things. And yes it does effect the sound because it changes the way the plate vibrates". (I added Morel, I think when he said Renè he was talking about Renè Morel).

As usual, violin making is a solitary journey... you may listen to opinions here and there but, eventually, you will be alone with a gouge in your hands and the wood in front of you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"violin making is a solitary journey... you may listen to opinions here and there but, eventually, you will be alone with a gouge in your hands and the wood in front of you."

Now that is a profound thought, Manfio. Pretty well applies to life in general, doesn't it? And to all of our decisions...but I really like the way you have phrased it.

And, ultimately, that is one of the things I like about it...being left alone with a gouge in my hand, and the wood in front of me.
mapleleaf_gal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am glad to see this post. i am getting ready to seal the inside of my current violin. and will keep my eye out for what other peoples opinions are. i have used propolis for years. but am wondering if i should change that....
MANFIO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many contemporary Italians apply propolis inside their instruments. I would like to hear something about that from Michael Darnton and Jeffrey, I think Michael leaves the inside of his instruments untreated, David Burgess does the same, I think.

arglebargle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used anything on the inside of my violins for some time.
In the past I have used potassium silicate, spirit varnish, propolis soap, varnish/pumice mix.
I am now happy with the results I am getting using nothing. It never really felt right to me to coat the inside. None of the makers I've worked with ever used anything either.
Sometimes it's o.k. to not do anything to a violin.
Shocked

And it saves some time.
violinarius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest to you that the violins that are very very old, and had some re-graduation work done to them very early on in their lifetime, would loose any interior coating that they may have had, yet today we still enjoy them.

If this was a critical component then we would be hearing all kinds of stories about violins dying because the interior coating was disturbed/removed.

Since this is not the case, then I would think that the gain or loss from such interior coatings is small either way.
actonern

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Violinarius:

Your argument sounds right... however, when talking about plates that are so thin, 1.1 mm sides, 2.5 mm top etc, it's also plausible that these "preparations" would penetrate the wood entirely. If this happened, any re-graduating would not remove the impregnated stuff...
Jack H.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mapleleaf_gal wrote:
i am glad to see this post. i am getting ready to seal the inside of my current violin. and will keep my eye out for what other peoples opinions are. i have used propolis for years. but am wondering if i should change that....

Leave it alone!

J
violinarius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actonern wrote:
Violinarius:

Your argument sounds right... however, when talking about plates that are so thin, 1.1 mm sides, 2.5 mm top etc, it's also plausible that these "preparations" would penetrate the wood entirely. If this happened, any re-graduating would not remove the impregnated stuff...

Would this be a water based or solvent based preparation?
actonern

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Violinarius:

I don't know... but a rosin oil, for example, easily goes straight through the ribs. Hold them up against a bright light and they're quite transluscent...like paper that has been oiled.
violinarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actonern wrote:
I don't know... but a rosin oil, for example, easily goes straight through the ribs. Hold them up against a bright light and they're quite transluscent...like paper that has been oiled.

If one is trying to coat the wood throughout, then it would make sense to coat both sides with the same thing, even if it penetrates completely through, by coating both sides you will guarantee a thorough soaking.
Sacconi is looking at coating both sides.

I don't think that this is what Sacconi saw though when he worked on Stradivari's instruments. His 'Vernice Bianca' and 'Potassium Silicate' solutions will not do what 'Rosin Oil' will, which is to completely penetrate the wood.

If Sacconi saw penetration throughout the wood, then it would have been his goal to use something that had penetration powers. These guys were repairing these instruments by removing wood, and so would have a pretty good idea what the inside was like. Unless of course Sacconi is giving us a red herring here to lead us astray. Shocked

The fact that we have different repair persons differing as to what was used, may suggest that there was more than one recipe. One water based, and the other resin based.

Interesting observation about the Rosin Oil making the wood translucent. Do you know if this is permanent or just temporary?
MANFIO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacconi's vernice bianca penetrates deeply in the wood, it virtually "disappears" inside the wood.

violinarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MANFIO wrote:
Sacconi's vernice bianca penetrates deeply in the wood, it virtually "disappears" inside the wood.

Yes it completely dissappears.

I think that the level of penetration of the Vernice Bianca though is minimal.
Try some coloured dye with Vernice Bianca on a test piece.

I would think that completely saturating a plate with Vernice Bianca is not possible, and so we are back to re-graduation removing whatever Vernice Bianca that there was/could be in and on the plates.
violinarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran across this while reading up on the violin.

http://www.rsc.org/Education/EiC/issues/2005July/violins.asp

"However, our results do not rule out the possibility that the wood used was natural and only the finished instrument was wetted with an aqueous salt solution many times both inside and out. It is very unlikely that brushing an aqueous solution onto the interior surface of the instrument would penetrate deep enough to change appreciably the mineral composition of the deeper layers of wood. Moreover, violin makers tended to limit themselves to one aqueous brushing lest they jeopardise the integrity of the glue joints. " from above article under the paragraph tittled "To soak or not to soak?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: