Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Link

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ollieken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Link Reply with quote

Anyone seen this Resonance Modulator invention
limk www.rezx.biz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patent pending, and only $40. Rolling Eyes
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Modulator Reply with quote

I've been doing something similar, and only costs a nickel. I've been taking a nickel and some masking tape, moving it around on the top plate till I've got the issue resolved, but then, its difficult to attach to the underside of the plate for a permanent cure, unless I take the top off. So far I've never left the masking tape on long enough to affect the finish.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do just what you do, Dave, but with little wooden blocs of maple. I was amazed at the effect it had... I found it helpful in trying to understand what was going on with the structure of an instrument when the tone was not quite right. It was even great for toning down a harsh e string, then I found that in many cases a "weak" string brightened right up. Problem arose when in one case the masking tape pulled off some brittle varnish... Thankfully it was one of my own! Thats when I thought of the magnet idea ( www.rezx.biz ). Every time I have demoed the magnet idea I have had positive wide eyed responses. It is now in use on an old Italian cello in the TSO... and I am told that the musician "is one happy camper". Although there are many solutions for wolfs, the Rezx gives much greater variablity to allow for very fine ajustment to avoid any negative side effects. The Rezx is also a practical solution for those fiddlers and violinists who are constantly changing strings and set up to try to find that perfect tone in their instrument. I am told it will be showing up in the June issue of the "The Strad". Thanks Leif for letting me plug this once!! Cheers, Mat
M_A_T_T

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably get away with using rare earth magnets.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=42348&cat=1,42363

Making a Violin III - Finally Finished
FiddleDoug

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Modulator Reply with quote

The thing looks a lot like a set of rare earth magnets with leather glued on one end. The Lee Valley link has lots (50 pc. set for $14.95). I could even go down to my local craft store and buy a set of four for about $2.

www.wallindependent.com
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Magnets Reply with quote

Matt:
So, if I understand this correctly, once you've found that perfect spot, you simply leave it in place, or do you glue an equal amount of weight under that position? Maybe you should have different weight magnets to choose from to determine the exact amount weight needed in that spot?

Sounds like it'd be great when still in the white in case you decide to pull the top and adjust from the inside.

Anyway, good luck with marketing!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, The original intent was to leave the Rezx in place and have it always moveable to give a musician full control. One could glue in an equal weight on the inside at the exact same spot, but that becomes somewhat permanent and certainly not in control of the musician.... and that can be a problem if the musician finds an undesireable side effect at a particular note or range. If however the musician experiments to achieve a desired position and finds that over an extended time that the sweet spot has indeed been found with no other ill side effects, then it is quite practical to glue an identical weight to the identical location on the inside of the instrument.... Cheers, Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: