Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Violinists' 'syndrome'?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Violinists' 'syndrome'? Reply with quote

Do all violinists have tendencies to be obsessive-compulsive?

I'm not your typical neat-freak but since I got my violin there would be things which I simply have to arrange in a certain order--almost as if I have autistic tendencies! But this OCism is not directed to everything (my sister is still perpetually mad from arranging the bed sheets all day--school is over in our place and I confine myself alternately in the bedroom, the kitchen, and the front room where the tv and computer are).

I know only one OC violinist and it's just an observation. Can verify it if this is true?
Shirley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Grace! What interesting "problems" you come up with! Violins do, indeed, have strange effects on people!

I wouldn't worry just yet - my impression is that, with all you are doing that your psyche just needs to "get things in order" so that you can function!

I am anything but a neat freak, but when, for instance, my husband used to go out of town, I would clean and neaten everything so that I would feel "secure." Doesn't make any sense, but so it was. Perhaps that is what you are going through?

If it get worse, then you might want to talk with someone. Since school is over, maybe you are just looking for something to do?

Anyway, let us know how things go?

Shirley
Gizmo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Talent Reply with quote

I'm glad for this new information.

I had been thinking that my terrible playing was due to lack of any genuine talent but now I know better.

Whew !
Shirley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmo, you are too funny! Shirley
grace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley wrote:
Hi, Grace! What interesting "problems" you come up with! Violins do, indeed, have strange effects on people!

I wouldn't worry just yet - my impression is that, with all you are doing that your psyche just needs to "get things in order" so that you can function!

I am anything but a neat freak, but when, for instance, my husband used to go out of town, I would clean and neaten everything so that I would feel "secure." Doesn't make any sense, but so it was. Perhaps that is what you are going through?

If it get worse, then you might want to talk with someone. Since school is over, maybe you are just looking for something to do?

Anyway, let us know how things go?

Shirley

thenks for the explanation Shirley! maybe it IS a reaction to change.. I just remembered tho that whenever i wash the dishes everything has to be in a particular order (spoons inside the biggest mug, bowls on top of the stack of dishes, pots and pans behind the stack of dishes, etc.) which keeps the question of autism raised *shiver* Shocked
Shirley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Grace - good luck to you! I'm not sure how this "particularness" gets started, but I can understand your concern. (My husband has often wished I'd come down with "obsessive-compulsion" syndrome for just a few days or so - the beast!

If things continue to bother you, and you decide to talk with someone about it, I'd sure like to know what comes of it all. Take care!

Shirley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: