Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

violin clock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Becky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: violin clock Reply with quote

I'm making a clock with a scrap violin back. Has anyone else made a clock using a violin before, and if so, what did you use to put numbers on the clock?
I've made a clock before and just left it without number markers as I couldn't find the perfect thing to use (that clock was for me and I don't mind). The clock I'm making now is a gift for someone else though and I feel like it should have some sort of number marking. The clock kit I bought came with numbers, but they seem rather large for the violin. I'm thinking I'll just mark the 12, 3, 6, and 9. Any advice?
FiddleDoug

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Numbers Reply with quote

I would think that many good craft stores would have a variety of various numbers that you could buy. Post a picture when it's finished!

www.wallindependent.com
byacey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not make the numerals from purfling? Roman numerals would be real easy to do...
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the back already varnished? If not, another way, that allows you more flexibility in terms of size and style, is to incise the numerals into the wood (shallow, narrow channels) and then use "burn-in sticks" (also available at woodworking stores--colored shellac sticks). You can melt them in with a solder gun on low, and then scrape off the excess. The heat and scraping would obviously be disastrous on a varnished back. But other "inlaid mastic" ideas might work, too.

Personally, I suspect that you could find appropriately sized and styled numerals at a craft/hobby store. That would be the easiest.
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klockit.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: