Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restoration Book
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Williams

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Restoration Book Reply with quote

Hi, can someone point me towards a good book on Violin restoration?

There seems to be plenty of books around on building Violins, but I can't find anything that deals exclusively with restoring, i.e crack repairs, fingerboard replacement, neck resetting, etc.

Thanks.
moronsreign

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Restoration Reply with quote

One book stands head and shoulders above the rest: The Art of Restoration by Weisshar and Shipman. That may not be the correct title, sorry, but the authors are sine qua non when it comes to restoration.
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, well, if you mean in the 50s sense of running roughshod over the instrument, yes, but now much of the type of work they show is considered butchery. But it is the only book available.
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Weisshaar book is heavy handed in several areas, but it also contains some very good practical information, measurements and useful methods. If you ask yourself "will this do any harm?", and don't follow each procedure blindly (ask someone who is up on the modern methods before proceeding), you should be OK.

http://holmesviolins.com
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I've run into discussing the methods with people who aren't trained is that they don't perceive the possibility of an an alternate method that's less intrusive. For instance, it's not necessary to sand off a path of original varnish around a crack to retouch the crack. When I asked one of the original authors at a VSA meeting presentation "what about just retouching only the crack without sanding off a bunch of original varnish" she actually responded "no one can do that", which is completely ridiculous--it's done all the time. If the author can't conceive of a less intrusive way, what chance does a person who has no experience at all?
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Darnton wrote:
The problem I've run into disucssing the methods with people who aren't trained is that they don't perceive the possibility of an an alternate method that's less intrusive. For instance, it's not necessary to sand off a path of original varnish around a crack to retouch the crack. When I asked one of the original authors at a VSA meeting presentation "what about just retouching only the crack without sanding off a bunch of original varnish" she actually responded "no one can do that", which is completely ridiculous--it's done all the time. If the author can't conceive of a less intrusive way, what chance does a person who has no experience at all?

Hey Michael;

You know my own philosophy, so you already know I agree with what you’re saying concerning a conservative approach…

“She” was trained (and only one of the authors, not that the other one would have been any more reasonable). I think the point is that some people can’t conceive of a less intrusive method, training or no.

There are certainly sections of that book that should be viewed with caution, but here is some rather good information as well. I believe alarm bells should go off any time someone says “remove this portion” (of the original wood, finish, etc.). First, do no harm.

What the book does have to offer are methods to approach certain problems, some nice jigs and guides, and good basic information dealing with the setup and basic restoration of instruments. It is a bit antiquated, as restoration has become more conservative (at least in the top end of things), but there are a number procedures that are still valid and useful.

Also, let's hope that anyone working on the restoration of a decent instrument has some good, solid training to back up their approach.... and isn't relying on a manual for the bulk of their education anyway (mail order restoration training?)... Smile

Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" I think the point is that some people can’t conceive of a less intrusive method, training or no. "

Exactly, which is why I prefer resources which are reliable.
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Darnton wrote:

Exactly, which is why I prefer resources which are reliable.

Smile Wish there was one to recommend. Maybe it's time to start one? You game? Smile

Jim Williams

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies but it looks like it's a good job I didn't rush out and blow $300 on the W&S book if this post is anything to go by Smile

http://asmallapple.net/~violins/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22&sid=2357e2cfb1f8d18d9008c7e05a13f8d6

Seems odd that there isn't a book out there covering the most common repair jobs.

I've worked with timber and handtools for nigh on 40 years and have recently turned some of the expertise gained to rescuing old, cheap, fiddles that are worse for wear and are not worth the time of a professional restorer/builder trying to make a living.

I'm not trying to put anyone out of work or wreck valuable instruments, but a book with a few tips on dealing with common repairs would be useful to many I would have thought.
Leif Luscombe
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is much valuable information in the book. I have a shop copy and refer to it often when doing neck setting, neck grafts and other repairs - I wouldn't want to be without it.

Having said that, there is precious little in print on any subject that I will be in complete agreement with - even in music, I will purchase a CD for one or two tracks - I think that by combing through resources and using experience mixed with a little common sense many of these reference works are useful.
shershey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Restoration Books Reply with quote

Jim,

The W&S methods are somewhat outdated and aggressive but, given what you want to try to do, I believe this book would be a good start. Expensive for what you may need but, helpful non the less.

I guess if one of us had the time, another book could be written but, it too would fall victim to the critics. You see, there are so many ways to solve a repair/restoration problem that no one book could cover it all. So, unless you get formal training, trial and error along with this forum, will have to be your guide.

Good luck and enjoy the process.

Scott.
Jim Williams

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leif Luscombe wrote:
I will purchase a CD for one or two tracks

Same here Leif.

Thanks for that info about the book though. I'll have to save my pennies and get a copy. Trouble is, I can get 3 fiddles on ebay for that Smile

shershey wrote:
I guess if one of us had the time, another book could be written but, it too would fall victim to the critics.

I'd sort of guessed that the dearth of books on the subject was probably because the diversity of opinion about the various ways of going about things.

Anyway, many thanks to you both for your help and you will be hearing from me again, via this forum, no doubt. Smile
bacon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: restoration Reply with quote

I started working with the Weisshar and Shipman book some 20 years ago doing school repairs. I admit I never mastered everything in the book but I did learn a great deal. Along the way via word of mouth from various luthiers and internet forums as well as plenty of library time I have gained a richer understanding of methods. A lot of what I have learned is by examining repairs on older instruments . What worked, what didn't, what showed a masterful hand, and what was hack work. Over the years as more and more older instruments came my way I studied not only restoration, but conservation as well. These use to be two very different fields. Fix it vs don't touch it. We now know that the preservation of these wonderful old items often requires a non invasive maintenance. Especially if they are in use. One must not only hone their skills to mastery but must also be an active student in historic methods.
In truth Michael has written the book , this gifted and well educated author has written a great tome. One just needs to search archives on all the instrument related forums as well as various journals to find the chapters.
bacon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Restoration Reply with quote

corrections and addenda
I first encountered the WEISSHAAR and Shipman book in the UCLA music library soon after it was published in '88. Then a helpful friend gave me a copy.

What I find most incredible about Michael's "book" is that it has been given out of pure generosity.
thank you, Michael.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hear hear!
Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: