Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sealing the back and ribs seperately from top plate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Sealing the back and ribs seperately from top plate Reply with quote

In my previous violins, I waited untill it was fully assembled before sealing the wood. On my last project, I assembled the back and ribs, used the assembled ribs to create an outline my top, then sealed the back and ribs with 1#cut shellac while working on the top. When it finally came time to assemble, the back/ribs shape had changed, now my overhang is uneven.

My thinking was that because the shellac was cut with alcohol, it wouldn't swell the wood like a water base sealer, but apparently it does. It may be because it took me a week or two to get the top ready. Meanwhile, I rescraped the back several times to removed raised grain, and then sealed it again. Maybe its because the interior was unsealed while the exterior was sealed, and uneven humidity may have caused some reshaping. Any thoughts? Work faster (ha)?

This violin has a real pretty quilted maple back and ribs, and that in itself creates a number of optical issues making it difficult to tell if you are looking at indentations and unusual bends, or just optical reflections. Even holding it at different angles fools the eye.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jack H.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally the ribs are kept in the form until it is glued to the back to prevent any distortions.
i would seal the instrument in its entirety and not in pieces.
Might get some shelack on the gluing surface of the ribs...
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Sealing Reply with quote

Thanks Jack, think I'll go back to my old way. Easy enough to remove sealer from blocks, quick swipe on the sanding board. Curious about gluing the back to the ribs while still on the mold, presume that you don't add the linings for the top until you've removed the mold. Seems it would add some potential for distortion of the ribs adding linings off the mold. What's your secret? Collapsible mold?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jethro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: rib holder Reply with quote

Dave:
On my first violin I let the completed body hang from a nail on my pegboard for about 6 months. the humidity here can be 60-110% most
of the time. Over that time the body was slowly unbending- on its way to
going back to a round hoop ! I too a piece of 3/4 hardwood plywood about 12 x 20 and lais the body down on it. Then I cut a slew of little
triangles about 2 inches on a side and glued them all down to the ply
on the outside of the body holding inward on it. I have one about every
inch all round. Then there are a couple of balsa sticks in the center to
keep presure pushing the ribs outward against the many little blocks.
It has worked great for shape control. You just take the sticks out and
lift it straight up and out when you want it out. How does thaat sound ?

Tim
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Shape control Reply with quote

Jethro,
Sounds like a pretty good system (and something like an outside form), the blocks all around and wood strips pushing outward. You have a lot of humidity, I'm running about 45-55% almost all the time.

Back to sealing the back and top seperately -- I'm thinking it was not a good idea in hindsight. It seems the lag time between gluing the back to the ribs and getting the top on is critical, so on my current project, no sealing, no purfling, no fooling around during this period. Otherwise, although the variations are minor, if the purfling is already done on the top, you're pretty much stuck with the variations in the overhang if there are any.

What about sealing the interior -- Alcohol base or water base sealer for the interior? I've read about a early 20th cent maker that used a concoction that included hot water, egg white, something else I can't remember now. If you did, it would seem it would be at the last moment before gluing the top on. Anyone have experience with this?

violinarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a piece of excess rib material, and coat one side with shellac, and then observe. Wink Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Jack H.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing Reply with quote

Dave Chandler wrote:
Thanks Jack, think I'll go back to my old way. Easy enough to remove sealer from blocks, quick swipe on the sanding board. Curious about gluing the back to the ribs while still on the mold, presume that you don't add the linings for the top until you've removed the mold. Seems it would add some potential for distortion of the ribs adding linings off the mold. What's your secret? Collapsible mold?

meant to add the words ready to be before the word glued...
as for sanding the blocks to get rid of shelac, it will not get the shelack that is already in the wood pores that will prevent glue from getting into them...
but it is best to ground and seal in the whole.
as for sealing the insides.
I don't do it and I don't thnk it is necessary, the wood has to be able to breathe. but that is JMHO.
Jack
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: sealing Reply with quote

Jack,

You're probably right, there has to be some shellac that seeps deep into the end pores of the blocks that just removing the obvious sheen doesn't address, but I was pretty careful not to seal any gluing surfaces.

I would think that even though the alcohol in the shellac evaporates off pretty fast, any swelling at all and the dried shellac in the pores would prevent its returning to its original shape, and so even the slightest swelling would be permanent.

I'm with you, wait till its all complete before sealing.

I like using a 1# cut clear shellac because it dries very quickly, and almost immediately, and because of the slight sheen you can detect and address issues before moving on to the varnishing. It also stiffens the grain so that another quick tour with the scraper results in an even smoother surface. What do most makers use for a wood sealer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: