Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjk

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Looking to upgrade Reply with quote

Hi, I'm starting to think my stentor student I is needing to be upgraded. A local shop has a gliga gem for ~500. I've tried it and like the sound, but it is difficult to compare without playing both in the same room at the same time(perhaps several seconds apart!). For those of you in the know, would this be a reasonable upgrade? Do gliga's have a decent reputation? I really like to support my local shop, and generally their prices on comparable items at other stores are always better. Also, I will never be a virtuoso, but do play occasionally in church(hymns) and am starting to make a point of bringing some fiddle music(and a guitar)to family functions. Also, spending this much on a hobby is kind of a big deal, so I want to make the right decision. I sincerely appreciate any advice.g
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Upgrade Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy any violin, unless it makes me play better, no matter what the cost, who made it, whatever. If it doesn't improve your playing, what does it mean anyway. If you notice immediately that it feels better, sounds better, then go for it.

I was brought up on an old fiddle, horrible scratchy thing, used the same strings year in and year out. Didn't know any better. I left the violin aside for more than 40 years, then picked it up again and started playing, still scratchy and ugly sounding. I bought some new obligato's and fell in love with the violin all over again. Suddenly I could play beautifully, and wore blisters in my fingers because I just couldn't put it down. Then I bought a new bow, and it took me to another level altogether.

If a new violin has this same effect for you, and you'll know it immediately, don't worry about the cost unless its totally out of your budget. If it does it for you and only cost $500, its money well spent. If it makes you fall in love with the violin all over again, it will be all the difference. If it doesn't do this, hold onto your money.

I guess it boils down to your expectations and what you think you need to move to the next level. Have you tried some different strings? Perhaps a new bow? Maybe take it to a Luthier to see if the tone can be improved?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gjk

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I put new dominants on to no avail, got another bow which I like much better(doesn't feel like a 2x4), and tried a different rosin, which helped out the sound the most. I should do a direct comparison I guess. I know that a new one would sort of reignite the passion, but I find practicing regularly does that as well. As to the luthier, do you think they'd recommend spending money on such a beginner model, or an upgrade. Hopefully next week I'll have time to try it again. Cheers, G
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Upgrade Reply with quote

Sounds like you're not happy with your current violin (I'm not familiar with the model you have). By all means, take the old violin with you, play them one after the other, back and forth (don't be shy, its an important decision to make).

A lot can be said about having a local dealer that you trust and like working with. It means a heck of a lot, but ask if he'll let you bring it back after a few days. In fact, I'm surprised he didn't let you take it home overnight. It does take a few minutes to really tell what the difference is, and sometimes after an hour or two of playing, you may decide you don't like it after all. Once you start to get used to the sound, you start to get a feel for the thickness of the neck, height of the nut, and other setup things that you don't notice right off, so I'd say you should be able to play it a couple hours before a final decision, or at least be able to return it within 24 hours without penalty.

Good luck.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
little lady

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is so true. You really do need to be able to take a violin (and bow) home and try them in familiar surroundings before you make a decision to purchase. There are so many things to consider.
It is great if your dealer has an trade-in policy also. Many dealers do and even online dealers such as Shar. You might want to investigate this before you buy. With a trade-in policy you don´t really lose on a purchase, but it is more like making an investment.
Good luck.
Bach

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little lady wrote:
It is so true. You really do need to be able to take a violin (and bow) home and try them in familiar surroundings before you make a decision to purchase. There are so many things to consider.
It is great if your dealer has an trade-in policy also. Many dealers do and even online dealers such as Shar. You might want to investigate this before you buy. With a trade-in policy you don´t really lose on a purchase, but it is more like making an investment.
Good luck.
Shar is a great company. I got my Franz Hoffman Maestro off of them and I love it. I think they have a trial program where they will send you numerous instruments and you can pick the one you like and buy it. Not totally sure though; their website is www.sharmusic.com
gjk

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: went with new gliga Reply with quote

So I went ahead and bought the gliga. The store informed me (i forgot to ask) that I had 30 days to return if not happy. I played last night for an hour. I'm surprised how much different it sounds. It seems to really have a 'sweeter' sound than my old one. Plus it seems to almost ring(maybe resonate is the term) when you're in tune. Is this good? It seems good. Double stops sound particularly sweet. The volume is also noticeably louder. Thanks to those who replied, I usually think way to(o?) much before I do something. This was worth the wait(this is technically a bday present from my mom, and my bday was in march!). g
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: trading up Reply with quote

I think its great that you're happy with the new violin. A 30 day return policy is more than one could ask for. Yes, the strings should ring if everything is correct, although is it louder to you, or louder to someone else in the room? What you hear in your ear as you play, is not the whole thing. Although the top plate produces most of the sound, the back, sides, and even the fingerboard resonate and add color and textures to the sound, that you may not hear yourself. Have someone else play it and listen. If you have the old violin still, have them play both for you. Chances are, however, if you're pleased with the sound under your ear, it likely sounds terrific to everyone else too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: