Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bow Varnish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ollieken

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Bow Varnish Reply with quote

I have an old bow that the varnish is in bad shape almost to the wood
To refinish it how do you go about it ? Strip it ? What is the best way to do this . Any Advice Thanks Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jack H.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bow Varnish Reply with quote

ollieken wrote:
I have an old bow that the varnish is in bad shape almost to the wood
To refinish it how do you go about it ? Strip it ? What is the best way to do this . Any Advice Thanks Ken

Depends on what kind of finish it has.

If it was a spirit and shelac polish on the bow, and if it was a pernabuco or brazil wood (or even epe) then I would remove it with alcohol, clean it well and then french polish it with a shelac polish.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken.. is it a valuable bow?... If not then what I do most times is clean it well with a warm solution of ammonia... it cuts the rosin real easy, dry it and give it an oil varnish rub.... ie rub it down with oil varnish, then wipe it all off... that leaves just a microfilm and dries to a bit of a satin sheen. I now never completely refinish a bow as it leaves it "artificial" looking. Even if there are chips in the finish, I touch them up to make them less obvious but I never get rid of the story that the bow could tell.... cheers, Mat
ollieken

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Thank s Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply
I cleaned it put two coates of stain with a cloth & some lite varnish &
it turned out great & still has its old varniish look Thanks

Mat it belonged to a ladys Grand father it is old it has Germany behind the frog on the bottom of the stick Likley factory? . Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken... I agree its a factory bow... and there are lots of them around. Some are pretty good too... glad it turned out good for you!
cheers... Mat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: