Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Found Me a Bow Case.../ Well Not Really?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiddledeedee

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: I Found Me a Bow Case.../ Well Not Really? Reply with quote

I was looking for a bow case for weeks. Everything I found was Way Over Priced. So with in my searching I found a Pool Stick case. Made for 1 pool stick of course, (they unscrew), this case fits 4 bows safley!! It is a hard case lined with felt and a lock. There is room for rosin depending on the type you use. I use Dominant so the round container doesn't fit. There was an extra open space of about 1 inch on the end once I had my bows in. I took a piece of soft foam I had and cut it to size so I get no slipping. Works Great. Price differance was approx $50 to $60 saved. New Strings Money!!

I do not need to carry my bows with me. This for me is strickly for home use. I got tired of trying to figure out which violin case out of 5 held which bow. This way is much eaiser!! But I can't see why it couldn't be used for travel.

Oh and yes "I got it on Ebay" lol Paid $22 including shipping!!! Sellers name was Daytonasports but there's many others I looked at.

Just wanted to share the info!!
chrisandcello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at cue cases some time back too.....OK for travel....but those bow bugs love dark places...keep my surplus in sealed clear perspex tube now with a cedar stick....
Teh Drizza

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisandcello wrote:
I looked at cue cases some time back too.....OK for travel....but those bow bugs love dark places...keep my surplus in sealed clear perspex tube now with a cedar stick....

Bow Bugs? Sad

What kind of bug are they exactly? I imagine they do horrible things to the bows. How do you prevent them, treat them if you have them?

(i'm a noob violinist ) thanks Smile
chrisandcello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bow bugs shouldn't really be a problem if you use your stick daily....however on rainy day sticks its likely to be at some stage. They eat the horse hair...the stick may look fine..you pick it up and the hair drops off Crying or Very sad ..or you may open a case to find the hair in tatters.
I think they may be refered to as carpet beetles/museum beetles. Its the small grub that does the damage.
Here's a cut and paste from another forum which I posted.....works for me but each to their own............

Sunlight, rosemary oil, permethrin, cedar sticks, cleanliness and a plexiglass sargophagus are weapons I've employed.
Having discovered them twice (some months apart)...I declared war and went for the overkill. Once is disturbing...twice is enough already!
The bugs don't like to be seen...like dark places...dead skin, hair etc.
I've had no problems for some time now...there are other weapons....but a summary of mine are below.

Sunlight...bug won't tolerate the UV...put your case out in the sun all day...vacuum it well etc..
Rosemary essential oil...a deterent...I use a small pine block next to the bows and put a few drops on a couple of times a week...on a case that was affected I laced the seams with the oil
Permethrin....is flea killer..(check the labels on pet flea products)...will kill the bugs. Spray around the edge of room area containg bows...(they will not cross the chemical barrier, so create some..ie: under mantlepieces or wherever you think wise). Use a cotton bud to apply to the tip wedge under the hair...(I found a fat one there) and the wood wedge by the ferrule and hair extremeties.
It will wick along the hair if the bud is too wet, so keep the bud damp only.
Cedar sticks...deterent...but you need to sand them every few weeks to release the aroma again. These are sold as arrow shafts and can be cut down. (some people cut them down for soundposts too). They can be kept with bows or put in cases etc..
Cleanliness/vacuuming...removes some food source (skin and hair) /removes bugs. If you have them in your house they are hard to get rid of totally. Check your wardrobes and sock draws too..they like natural materials...
Examination...awareness...check your cases and look under the hair at the bow tips...looking a well fed one in the eye is a big motivator not to see them again!
Sarcophagus: I use some 3 and 4 inch diameter clear plexiglass pipe..capped with permethrin soaked mdf..silicone seal...kept by a window for the UV light. This is for surplus/rainy day bows until I sell or use them.
Hanging bows...its better to hang them somewhere bright for ease of use and away from the grubs...there is still a risk though

Any system should work but only if you maintain and use that system...ie: sand the cedar shafts periodically....remember to re-apply the rosemary regularly etc...
Hope this helps someone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: