Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nicolas Bertholini ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teh Drizza

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Nicolas Bertholini ? Reply with quote

My Grandmother pulled out this old violin she's had around for many years.

The label inside says " Nicolas Bertholini Luthier de S.M. l'Empereur et de la Cour de France Fecit anno 1810" it also has a small "made in France" label (the large label has an eagle in a circle in the top left corner)

I've looked a bit online to see what other information I can find about it.

So far from what I have found it was mostly likely made in France in 1914 at the earliest ( i was told that the "made in france" labels were not used until about that time) Also that the Nicolas Bertholini name was used by the Mirecourt workshops which was owned by Jerome Thibouville Lamy??? (they are somehow connected, i can't quite remember how)

quote from website i found " generally well made, usually 19th- early 20th century, but it is unlikely that there was one man who had this name. Probably made by one or more of the highly skilled craftsmen working at Mirecourt, and just sold under the label Bertholini. Most were predated 100 years.

anyone know anything else about this label?
Shirley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh - how interesting! It seems you have done a very good job of seeking out information. If you find out anything more (I'm sorry I can't help), I would be very interested in hearing about it - I will keep checking this thread!

Shirley
winxart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed this is a label used at Mirecourt workshop (violin factory at the beginning of the 20th )
I have a 3/4 violin with this label.i used this when i was younger for my learning of the violin.it's a well made and soundind violin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: