Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

with or without shoulder rest/pad?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

do you prefer playing with or without shoulder rest/pad?
with
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
without
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

grace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: with or without shoulder rest/pad? Reply with quote

I've seen a paper saying shoulder rests are necessary for certain people who are either too thin or have longer necks... But it also has a disclaimer for the effects it has on the tone.

I myself have recently resorted to playing without it and has had fantastic results despite my being rail-thin. Very Happy
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Shoulder rests Reply with quote

I think there's good reason not to use a shoulder pad (as opposed to a shoulder rest) that puts direct pressure on the violin's back, as it modifies the resonance of the instrument. Same is true if you use nothing at all, and have the body of the violin wedged between shoulder and chin.

In my youth, my teacher had me playing with no shoulder rest or pad, and it made a difficult instrument painful as well. As I grew older, I began to use a shoulder rest, as distinguished from the shoulder pad, and its comfortable, and frees the back of the violin from direct contact with your body, allowing it to resonate as the maker intended.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Shoulder pad/rest Reply with quote

I guess I didn't vote in your poll, because I use a shoulder rest, but not a shoulder pad. Not sure how to answer the question. Hope that helps.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LSOviolinist

Location: Los Angeles, California/Boston, Massachusetts/New York, New York

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Shoulder rest/pad Reply with quote

Personally, I base using a shoulder rest/pad on my musical situation. For example, if I'm in a long rehearsal, I usually use a shoulder rest because I'm sitting there for a long time and I want comfort. If I have a performance, I usually play without a shoulder rest, because I feel more comfortable with the tone my instrument produces. In regards to general use of the shoulder rest, it has been widely understood that using a shoulder rest improves the tone and volume of the instrument, because it has more room to vibrate and expand the sound, verses being directly on your shoulder and losing some of this sound because it is more constricted. It seems to me, however, that it depends on the player. Some like playing without a rest and some do.
In regards to your poll, I Can't really discern between the two because I use them both equally. HOPE THIS HELPS.
little lady

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a long neck and of necessity, must you a should rest to play violin. I like the Wolf Secondo because it is one of the highest rests on the market.
winxart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from a year now ,i don't use anymore shoulder rest and i think now it should for me very difficult to play with anew.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: