Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hollowing the plates first, then outside arch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was upset that I had time fitting a six-pixel line to a sox-pixel line taken from the Strad arch so that a couple of pixels of arch wouldn't stick out for a short stretch, and you use a 1/4" chain, with twists in it, even, and are satisfied if the results are within a couple of mm? Based on Torborg's comment over there, the two of you have been totally blinded by enthusiasm to the point where the concept of a match is meaningless. Clearly we have nothing to discuss here unless it's about visual discrimination and standards in violin making.,

Last edited by Michael Darnton on Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
CT Dolan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, perhaps to get to the heart of the matter, I'd like to ask a few questions:

1. What is the form of the back and belly long arch (on the outside)? I know the form of the cross arch is that of a curtate cycloid, but what of the long arch? Surely there is a form present, can it be represented mathematically?

2. If the past masters worked from the outside and developed the form as such (from the outside), what drove their decisions and determined the shape of these outer forms?

3. Why does the long arch of the belly differ from that of the back? What purpose, acoustically, does this difference serve?

I am trying (and hoping) to learn something here and would rather this not become a stale-mate. If someone has answers to the questions above (some or all), please speak.
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT Dolan wrote:
So, perhaps to get to the heart of the matter, I'd like to ask a few questions:

1. What is the form of the back and belly long arch (on the outside)? I know the form of the cross arch is that of a curtate cycloid, but what of the long arch? Surely there is a form present, can it be represented mathematically?

2. If the past masters worked from the outside and developed the form as such (from the outside), what drove their decisions and determined the shape of these outer forms?

3. Why does the long arch of the belly differ from that of the back? What purpose, acoustically, does this difference serve?

I am trying (and hoping) to learn something here and would rather this not become a stale-mate. If someone has answers to the questions above (some or all), please speak.

The back long arch is, I believe I have shown, a simple circle. The long arch of the top is a circle between the centers of the upper and lower bouts, with a transition from there outwards defined by the cycloids for those positions. It's a very simple concept with a unique look. The important thing to note is that as with every other part of the violin, the total surface is defined exactly and very precisely, including the recurve. There is no room for "fudging".

I don't think we can adequately speculate on the motivations of a single designer nearly 500 years ago, except to note, as I repeatedly do, that the entire violin is an exercise in math, with, later, experience added. Even the graduation is mathematical, on a very simple principle. The violin was not conceived as a random romantic object of art. Imagine designing something and leaving a large part of it undefined: "Oh, and the top of that piston--do whatever your spirit moves you to do." Didn't happen in violins any more than it did in the architecture of the time. . . . or, if you know anything about Renaissance painting, you know it didn't happen in painting, either.

The back and top have different jobs to do. Making the top flatter in the middle makes a more open and responsive violin. The analogy has been made (perhaps incorrectly) to the shape of the top being similar to and encouraging the same type of movement as in log rolling in water. At any rate, if you rub your finger on the top of the bridge, in line with the strings or at 90 degrees, in line with the top of the bridge, you'll notice a difference in sound that encourages the idea that the lateral movement is the one to pay attention to.

Last edited by Michael Darnton on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Oded Kishony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

In my experience the top deforms noticeably over time after the strings are tensioned. The center flattens and the ends bulge out. Have you accounted for this deformation?

Oded
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't account for it, and for what it's worth, the violins I've made in about the last 10 years are remarkably stable--many of them still have the same bridges and posts, and projection hasn't moved a bit. I'm making violins that are not distorted, of course--my method gives an arch which is undistorted and stable, but also resembles the Cremonese arch ( not the collapsed version!) in some important respects that I was unable to figure out until I started using circles and cycloids. I notice tonal effects too--one of them being that even my thickest del Gesu models respond well from the very first day, which was not the case with previous violins on the same pattern. We've also discussed, in other places, the fact that I'm not getting wide variations in pitch from drying varnish in the lightbox.

I believe that all of these effects (and there are others, less verbalizable) are partially a result of the integrity (consistency, internal uniformity, whatever) of the design. Integrity is hard to explain, and harder to execute, but a consistent plan for the entire arching is the only way to accomplish it. I think there are other ways to engineer integrity but they don't result in a product that looks Cremonese in the important respects.

It's an aside, only slightly related, that I have a friend who worked at Hills. He said that they were given only and E and G string when setting up violins, and that the policy was that if the string height changed when the instrument was at full tension with all the strings, something was inherently wrong with the instrument, and that needed to be figured out.

Basically, I think we accept immediate gross deformation because the standard modern ways of arching result in it. I made the analogy elsewhere of a toothpick bridge, made as strong and light as possible. When you selectively add toothpicks (strength) in only one area, you don't make the bridge stronger--you actually make it weaker. That's the type of integrity, or lack thereof, that I'm talking about.
CT Dolan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, thank you for taking the time to reply. As I understand it, the book by Francois Denis deals with this subject in pretty thorough manner, am I correct? If so, do you know of anywhere the English edition of the book can still be found? I have not been successful finding a copy in English. Thank you.
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only place I know that has/had the book is http://amatibooks.com
CT Dolan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian told me he was out of stock and did not foresee another printing of the English edition, thank you though. Someone on the other site asked the following, feel free to comment if you like:

"As an aside, mr Darnton wrote this in the other forum ;

In my workshop I show a nice method of generating top and back long arches which almost exactly replicate what you see on old instruments. The top arch is a particularly interesting case, inasmuch as the "humps" at the end are not random, but very predictable with a simple plan using circles. Actually, the long archings are much less sophisticated than the cross archings, but a proper long arch "explains" a lot of visual things that Cremonese violins are recognized for.

Can someone who belongs to the other forum ask him about this method, or has any one been to the class, and heard this lesson?"

I realize that people paid good money to be taught what is mentioned above, however for some of us the opportunity to learn in such a setting simply does not exist, so please consider this as well. Thank you.
M.Lange

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really is no need to discuss, if the shape of the arching is a catenary or a cycle. In this case you are both right, Michael and CT Dolan.
As a matter of fact, you won't even see any difference between a catenary curve and a cycle at the scale that is of interest for us.
To illustrate that:
The green line is the catenary, the red the cycle.

Now, if you look closer ( only at the section that might be a long arch),

there simply is no (visual) difference between the two.

Matthias
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Can someone who belongs to the other forum ask him about this method, or has any one been to the class, and heard this lesson?"

I realize that people paid good money to be taught what is mentioned above, however for some of us the opportunity to learn in such a setting simply does not exist, so please consider this as well. Thank you.

As far as I’m concerned it’s up to Michael to decide what he’s going to give away. It’s not up to me as a workshop participant to spread the more exclusive bits of info. around. He’s been (and this word is not an exaggeration -- compare what he's put out there to anyone else in the field) amazingly generous with his knowledge over the last, what, 15 years on the net and in American Lutherie. There’s plenty, PLENTY to keep one busy out there as it is, for anyone who’s paying attention.
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias, there's also the problem of cross archings, and on those, the recurve and inflection points.

Also, am I incorrect in thinking that the length of the chain matters? You appear to have used an infinitely long chain, something in short supply in most violin shops. What does a catenary look like when the chain is more like violin size, more tensely stretched?
---------------
Later: yes, I'm incorrect, apparently.not.

Last edited by Michael Darnton on Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
CT Dolan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Michael has been amazingly generous and very helpful to the development of my understanding, and I'd like to take a moment to personally say "thank you".
actonern

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me this has been a vigorous seminar... Michael, I can just see you, deeply close-focused on the final turns of a scroll or purfling corners, needing a back stretching break, whizzing accross your shop on castors to the computer, pecking away at the keys...

We're all very grateful... lots of us, that is, that never had the benefit of a formal apprenticeship/education in a guild like setting and who nonetheless take the hobby very seriously... it would be so difficult to get better without the generous assistance of folks like you.

I'm not obsequious about this, but the fact is that before the internet came along there was MUCH more silence and ambitguity about the craft of making by people who knew a lot. I've been a STRAD reader since the early 80's and the articles on varnish and other critical arcana were much more general and less practically expressed than the open environment that appears to exist these days.

I couldn't be more thrilled!
M.Lange

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Darnton wrote:
Matthias, there's also the problem of cross archings, and on those, the recurve and inflection points. ...

Michael, I didn't want to argue against you. I don't have the knowledge and experience to do that, when it comes to violin making. ( I only made one violin, so far, as you may have seen in the "what are you working on now" thread)
In fact, a lot of what I know about violin making, I have learned from your posts on this forum!
The best thing to fit the cross archings are curtate cycloids, aren't they?

Matthias
Roger Hill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael: I am sorry you are upset, but here are the conditions: The two chains are 3mm and 2mm. The 2mm chain has some runout, so prior to starting placement I hold the chain up by one end to allow the entire chain to rotate to its unstressed state. I attempted to fit the upper edge of the heavy chain as close to the line as I could. With my photographic skills, it is difficult to create a high resolution photo showing how the chain lies next to the curve. That is the reason for the shot from above. There are certainly limitations to what I presented, but no gimmickry. Enough said.

Roger Hill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: