Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Violin Feels Strange

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Violin Feels Strange Reply with quote

I Started playing the violin about a year and a half ago, and according
to my teacher, I am doing quite well. As for myself, I don't know. My
friends say it sounds good, but maybe they are just being nice.
I wanted to ask some of you other violin players if you have days when
the violin feels real friendly, easy to play, and you get your lesson
assignments done pretty quick, and feel sort of satisfied with your work.
Here lately, some days I have noticed that the violin feels strange, and
the bow feels like I am trying to handle a snake. Is this normal?
Thanks.
Jack
Amalia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

I feel the best when I play twice a day, morning and evening. When I do that, I don't seem to regress between practice sessions. I seem to be able to "pick up where I left off" so to speak.

Now I also should mention, that when I have been working on a piece for a long time, and seem to have stopped making progress, it really helps to NOT play the piece for a couple of weeks. By then my mind seems to have cleared out the problems and just retained the sound I imagine I should be making, and my fingers and bow are somehow able to play that instead of struggling along note by note.
Gizmo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Strange Reply with quote

If my violin handles the same for 2 days in a row I am amazed.
Sometimes I give it a vacation and pick up violin #2 for a while.

I often play "musical bows" choosing a winner from a group of 4.

There are simply too many things going on with a violin to expect it to be entirely predictable. And, I suspect things are worse for those of us in the amateur ranks.
Amalia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Gizmo Reply with quote

Gizmo, I am wondering why you prefer switching around. I have a selection of violins in my home. I always pick the "best" one. If the best one in not available, then it takes me a little time to convince myself I can live with the sound of another. Even if my second choice is not too much of a downgrade, I still find that it takes me a few days to adjust to the difference in handling and feel of another instrument. Some are more alike than others and I can make the switch faster between those.

Sometimes just the "sound" of another instrument can annoy me to the point where I don't want to play. My favorite violins, I LOVE to play all the time!

Anyway, I guess I'm suggesting that perhaps you need to give up on variety and get yourself ONE violin that you love.

The same applies to bows. I have several, and once I know which one fits with which violin, I don't switch around. Occasionally, I will get a chance to try an exceptional bow belonging to someone else, and will find that I can execute a difficult passage with ease, that I had previously been struggling with. The answer, I think, is to buy myself a better bow, but I have not as yet, done so. Switching around amongst my lesser bows, just makes me feel discouraged on all fronts, not just one particular trouble spot.
Maggini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Violins and bows and their differences Reply with quote

I also own several violins and bows. I keep one old violin at school to demonstrate. It makes a pleasant sound, and plays easily. It is not a professional quality instrument. I have one bow that I prefer for that violin.

My old Maggini copy is my favorite. I've been playing it since the 70's and it's become an old dear friend. Like all friendships, ours has its ups and downs. Sometimes, I pick it up to play, and it feels like a block of wood. I sometimes try to blame the old fiddle, but I know it isn't at fault- I AM !

I have four bows in the case with this violin. Two are very unusual, but I don't like the way they play. They are only in the case for looks. I play a Lupot copy for orchestral work because it draws a fine tone, and is capable of great volume. For chamber music, I play a very fine, light Gustave Bernadel. It is great for show-off bowing techniques- flying spiccato, sautille, etc. It has a wonderful range of tonal qualities, but doesn't generate enough volume to be heard over the orchestra if I have a solo. The Bernadel is really my favorite. I always reach for it first....

Dr. Edmund Robb III
Gizmo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Strange Reply with quote

Here's the problem. If I don't like a violin, I just don't play it. Like you, I lose any enthusiasm for playing. However all my "good" violins have times when they play just fine.
I suspect that violins suffer moods due to accumulation of rosin, weather, string condition, etc. When I am playing a violin it is either getting better or worse.....never constant. (Then too, I always wonder if strings wear out ?)
This leaves me completely ignorant on how can a Stradivarius sound remarkable all the time for the last 400 years ? (maybe that's what I need).
Of course, one perpetual question is rosin build-up on strings but I haven't figured that out either.
Amalia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: change Reply with quote

I honestly don't think my violins change much themselves UNLESS I either don't play them for a while, or I am traveling with them and there is a change in humidity, etc.

And some violins (probably more the better violins) do need time to "warm up". I talked to a concert violinist this past weekend who told me that "it takes 2 hours to warm up a violin". He said this after playing a Strad for 2 hours. I know it can take ME two hours to warm up, that's for sure! Laughing
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Violin Feels Strange Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies, I feel a little better now, knowing that I am
not the only one getting these strange feelings. I too, am beginning
to believe that violins have mood swings. I usually keep four strung
up, and whichever one sounds the best, that is the one i practice with.
Very seldom is it the same one two days in a row. I used to have some
"favorite" violins, but now I love them all about the same. It seems as
if the violin knows when you like it, and when you don't, and it performs
accordingly. But, I still have days when they all feel strange.
As for the rosin buildup on the strings, I have been using Gold 1 rosin
for a couple of weeks now, and there is hardly any buildup at all. Also,
you only have to apply just a small amount to get good results. It has good grabbing power, and at the same time, makes the bow stroke seem a lot smoother. I need all the little extra help I can get.!!!!

{ I receive no compensation in any form from Liebenzeller Rosin }
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Violin Feels Strange Reply with quote

Amalia, I started practicing two times a day, morning and evening
as you mentioned, instead of one long session. You are right. it is
much better this way. Thank You.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: