Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cheapo db

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Double Bass Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomigv

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: cheapo db Reply with quote

Am building my first double bass. Can you use tuners from an electric bass for tuners on a DB? I plan to build the bass from the following. Silver fir laminated top 3/4 sz. 1/4 in baltic birch back, 1/8 in baltic birch sides and a pecan neck considerably thinned down because of weight. i plan to use OSAGE ORANGE for the fb and tailpiece similiar density to brazil rosewood. Any suggestions about carving the top with a small chainsaw or carving attachment i have an angle grinder fitted with a 4 in tungstin carbide cutter Any suggestions would be apprecated this is my first bass ernie. Shocked
Jack H.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sound like some heavy duty power tools for making instruments!
I would recommend using gouges personally. They build character and muscles!
I am also a proponent of using an axe to chop down trees though.
Like the old proverb goes.
Chop your own firewood, it will warm you twice.

J
tomigv

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks Jack. I only use power tools to do rough work e.g. I was working on the db pecan scroll I roughed out the scroll with forstner bits . But am using inexpensive chinese carving chisels to clean cavity . Similiarly I cut the scroll saw out with a bandsaw. But will do all the fine work with knives, chisels, and spokeshaves. I do cut trees with chainsaws, but use axes, froes, splitting mauls, metal wedges etc to split out stock. I used the jointer to laminate the db top , but decided to use chisels, planes, and hand tools to carve the top. Did not feel confident using power tools to carve the belly, as this is my first db and I did not want to make mistakes in cutting too deep > very easy to do with power tools.shalom ernie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Double Bass Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: