Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baroque Bergonzi model done

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KenN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Baroque Bergonzi model done Reply with quote

Here's my second one finished. I made everything except the strings. I might make a new bridge, when I drew the blanks out I made them too narrow at the top. Now I see the bridge is rather low, unless I up the string clearance, so the heart is rather high. The string heights are 2.6/3/3.4/3.5. Is there any reason for them to be higher? Doesn't seem to have clearance problems. The first day it was strung up it seemed muffled. Now it isn't! Here it is, if I do it right.
[/img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/19584049@N08/[img][/img]
MANFIO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Good! Congrats!

Some words: on the next, try to follow the lines of the model that is inspiring you more closely. I posted here a scroll carving and corner shaping tutorials, it may be of some help to you. Ciao!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
KenN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the poster this morning, and yes the corners are a little pointy!
The outline matches pretty well though. The shape and curves of the scroll match too. But I did get carried away with the undercutting of it. I wish I had some leftover ebony so I could have made the pegs to match the fingerboard and tailpice. Might have held the whole together more. I guess the details mean everything.
Geemac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks positively delightful to me. Mine don't look anywhere near what you have achieved, although I am getting some remarkable sound/tone from the ugly things.
M.Lange

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken, looks really nice.
The only thing that I can criticize is that the corners seem to be a bit wide. I think you did increase the width and the thickness of the corners a little bit too much. But maybe that's just a matter of personal preference.
I really like the fingerboard and tailpiece.

Matthias
KenN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have multiple problems on the corners. I cut the plates oversize, then bring them in to size, the corners last, and I get impatient. I haven't made anything with a mould yet so the ribcage isn't really right. Although I've drawn lots of different models out... Strad, del Gesu, Magggin, Bergonzi, Montagnana, I always have trouble getting the corners just right and figure I'll cross that bridge when I have to! That's the next thing I have to work out, I guess. I think what is throwing me off is that I want to do the purfling/ribcage even from the edge all around the corner, and it isn't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: