Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for music schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snorri Bard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: looking for music schools Reply with quote

I am 17 years old and sort of lost, thinking about what I will do after high school... I intend to go to some sort of college. I want to go to a music school or school with a good music program. I want to study music composition and violin and it would be nice maybe if i could minor in theater acting or some other different things, but if not that's fine. I want to study music and have a degree, so besides the training I can get good jobs easily, you know. I really want to study abroad as well. I don't have a 4th high school math credit so i can't get in to most regular schools, but i don't need that for a music school, and I know that a lot of European schools don't charge tuition. I would like to live in Eastern Europe somewhere or Russia or Scandinavia, or Germany. But if I can get in somewhere in the U.S. that's fine, but I don't have a lot of money. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should do? what kind of school i should go to... where... maybe a conservatory... i am lost, there is so much out there... Any help is appreciated, thanks.
mshikibu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of different things to do, and it seems like your heart is telling you to do all these things -- but you have to do at least some of them consecutively, not all at once.

You have to pick an undergraduate program, first. You don't have a lot of money, but you didn't indicate where you're located or what level you play violin on. If I had more information, I could help more.

Choice of an undergrad program is dependent on how much money you can spend and how good your grades and audition are. You could start somewhere locally and then do those other things (Europe, for example) in graduate school.

There are a lot of good schools I could recommend, but I need MORE INFORMATION, like:

1. What state do you live in? (or the state where parent(s) or guardians live in);

2. You want to study composition; where are you on that?

3. Have you had any private music lessons, and how much orchestral experience do you have?

4. What are your special interests? (what do you really love?);

5. If you express your most intense dreams about the future, what are you doing?
Snorri Bard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Georgia.
I don't have any training in composition nor do I have any in performance or any theory. I have for 1 year been in my high school orchestra but I didn't enjoy the actual class for various reasons so I'm not doing it again this coming school year (senior year,) but instead taking a music theory class. My interests are composing for full orchestras, as in symphony music, also composing for small groups and folk and so on. I also love heavy metal and electronic music as well and I play violin, drums, guitar, and keyboard and am talented with music in multiple aspects and instruments, but have no actual training. I can read music, not fluently though, for violin and I have only been playing violin for less than 2 years but I am definitely gifted. I want to be a professional violinist though, as in get paid for it doing whatever I can, though I don't think that will be my main source of income. But I also love creating music and I want to be knowledgeable in the technical and theoretical aspects of it. I also have some interest in acting though that's just something in my mind i have no experience with. Anyway my dream would be to compose music and make a living doing it.

thanks
mshikibu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly wish you well; it takes a lifetime to fulfill the interests you have. You should probably consult with your parents, and find the nearest university, to get started. If you want to do composition, you should stay in orchestra, no matter what the objections you have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: