Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

albino notes?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: albino notes????? Reply with quote

Okay, that was a weird term but what I want to ask is how do you play those notes which are written like eighth/sixteenth/32nd notes but have white heads?
Plus, they are given twice their (black) value since only 4 eighth notes were written in a common time signature bar. What am i supposed to do with them? Help!
Shirley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there, Grace! As no one has attempted to answer you question, I will try...

You are speaking of half-note looking things with slashes across the stems?

I believe that one slash across any note at all, means play eighth notes for the length of that note - e.g, a half not with one slash through the stem would mean play four eighth notes (equals two quarter notes, equals one half note.)

Two slashes means play 16th notes for the duration of the note, and three slashes means, in practice, just play as many notes as you can for the duration of the note (actually 32nd notes) - etc.

Always maintain the proper time signature.

I this clear? I wish someone who really knew about this and could explain it clearly would help here!

You have quite a job there, teaching those kids - good luck!!

Shirley
grace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Shirley! I hope I'll manage to masterthose Wohlfahrt pieces before my students get any wiser than me!
Becky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley, why are you looking for someone else to answer? You gave a very fine answer Smile Just wanted to confirm that for you in case you were doubting yourself...
Shirley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becky - thank you! I'm never sure I either 1) know something or 2) explain it properly. By the way, I was just thinking that your explanation of the tied notes, in another thread, was succinct and right on - so this give me the opportunity to tell you! Take care - Shirley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: