Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings from Member #388

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven Potter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Greetings from Member #388 Reply with quote

Hello to eveyone! I'm Steven Potter, the latest arrival at the Violin Forum. I live in Toronto, Canada and have been studying violin for about 4 years. About 2 years ago I passed my Grade 3 at the Royal Conservatory; now working on prep for Grade 5 exam.

I've had decades of experience with woodworking, machining, precision assembly of tools, fixtures, etc and I'm looking forward to taking the plunge into making a violin. I'm also interested in converting my present violin into an acoustic/electric instrument via a new bridge with embedded pick-up. I purchased a 5 string electric Yamaha, but have found that switching from 4 strings to 5 is not as easy as I thought! I'll probally put it on eBay in the near future.

I'm also fascinated by how violins work. I've read "The Violin Explained" by James Beament. A very interesting and extrememly detailed book. (though not an easy read) I also recently came across an interesting article on how horsehair makes strings vibrate. (Turns out it's not "rough edges" but the friction caused by making/breaking a "glued connection" between rosin and string!!!!!!!) Amazing, eh?

Looking forward to many lively discussions!

...and thanks to Lief Luscombe for setting up such a great forum!
Leif Luscombe
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven,

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find it useful and educational.

I was cleaning up some old accounts, so changed your post from #433 to #388 to reflect your new number.

I wish you the very best with your violin making project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: