Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Violin is Impossible
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Verdi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Violin is Impossible Reply with quote

Hi, just wanted to throw out a comment for some feedback.

Learning the violin late in life is not all that do-able. And here are some of the reasons I have discovered.

1. It takes years before you are good enough to solo. If you just want to fiddle on the back porch or for your own enjoyment then go ahead. But if you are hoping to do solo gigs and you are already old, in 5 years you will be that much older. I personally don't want to be up in front of everybody being old making my solo debut on the violin.

2. It's hard to find a teacher who knows how to teach adults. Most Suzuki teachers revert to the childish "Mississippi stop stop" lingo that I don't think adults can relate to.

3. I don't think Suzuki is for adults that are already musicians on other instruments. Adults that already know music would better profit from another teaching method.

4. Violin is so impossible to learn. It's all body english. It's not like any other instrument. In learning piano you can play a chord and you've got the sound. In guitar you can strum a chord and you've got the sound. And everytime you return to the piano or guitar you can get the same sound. With violin the notes are only in the same place if your hand is in the same place.

With violin it's different everytime. Maybe you'll get the tone today and maybe you won't. Violin all depends on how you stand, or how you hold your arm, or how you hold your fingers, or how you hold your head, or your rosin, or your strings, or your bridge..............

5. The industry caters to youth. There's a Teen Strings magazine but not a Senior Strings magazine. Older people that are featured in magazines are usually long time players.

6. It is very expensive. You need a good setup. Now that I'm at the point of upgrading from my beginning setup I don't have the money. Lessons are easily $200.00 a month plus the payment on a professional setup is prohibitive. So I am stuck with my student setup.

All in all, my experience is that violin is best done when learned young. It can be done when you are over 50 but it's very frustrating because it takes so long to get it to sound like a violin.

There are many other instruments that can be more easily enjoyed than violin.

I love it but it seems un-doable, impractical, and futile at this point.

Just my thoughts. Thank you for reading.
Steven Potter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience has been the exact opposite.

I started playing violin about 4 years ago (at age 52) and I totally love it. I’ve been taking weekly lessons for most of the time. After my first two years I took my Grade 3 exam at the Royal Conservatory and passed with “Honours”. I’m now preparing for a Grade 5 test sometime next year.

I’ve been very lucky to have several professional string players as close friends. They’ve let me join them in several quintet performances. But, even if I had no performance venues (other than the RCM) I would still carry on just the same, because I love the sound of the instrument.

Re: hard to find teachers for adults? Not my experience; I’ve had 2 so far. Not a problem in Toronto.

Re: impossible to learn? Extremely challenging, yes! Impossible, no.

Re: too expensive? Certainly not. For about $300 you can get a decent Chinese violin on eBay and make good music. (No doubt others on the Forum will scoff at this but I’ve done it. Maybe I was just lucky. My newest violin is also Chinese ($2,500 Jay Haide) with AMAZINGLY beautiful tone.

No one would argue with the benefits of starting young. But I’m sure there are many others like me who came to the violin late in life and found it to be a source of inspiration and profound enjoyment.

My humble advice…

If you do “love it”, throw yourself into it. Focus on your bowing more than getting proper notes/pitch. Try to make beautiful sounds and practice in a room with good acoustics. Make your instrument SING. If you don’t feel a change in heart after a few months, then yeah…maybe it’s not for you.
ollieken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Not impossible Reply with quote

Hi Run search On u tube for one arm fiddler & see if you still
think Learning is impossible some one here May have the link i cant copy it for some reason also Search U tube for learn to play
Some kind folks have some short lesson,s that may help you
Good Luck Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the link... the chap must have been some determined... must be from New Brunswick!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYmqC5XznEw
little lady

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great video!!!! That should make us never complain about
anything again. It defies the imagination.
I started violin in 1990 at age 36 to put the example for my children who
were also studying music (piano and clarinet). I told them I would do
something for homework, too. (I already played piano). Anyway, it is
something I have kept up and enjoyed (the children are grown now), and I have gone farther in it than I ever imagined I could. (play on a
community orchestra, in the Church orchestra and give classes for
beginnners at the Church.) Okay, I will never be Jascha Heifetz, but it
has enriched my life in many ways especially by providing an avenue for
me to get out and meet people and share music with them. I have met so many wonderful people thru music who I would never have met before.
Don't give up. But be the best you can at whatever you decide to do.
And be satisfied with the violin that you can afford to buy.
Barry1963

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Violin is Impossible Reply with quote

Verdi wrote:

Learning the violin late in life is not all that do-able. And here are some of the reasons I have discovered.

Im 44, and I disagree, although I'm a beginner to the violin, in the 20 days ive been playing, ive learned quite a few simple songs as well as a lot about the violin. I think its the desire in the player....not the age.
Shirley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verdi - what I thought when I read your post is, "Of course he is right!" The durned bowed instruments are pesky, uncooperative things. Sometimes they team up with our electronic gadgets and are out to get us.

All those things you say about small differences in manner of playing altering the outcome are true, too - but that is what sticking with it is supposed to alter - we get better at doing some things correctly, time after time. Consistency.

I returned to the viola after 50 years (I played in HS, awfully, no teacher, etc)... It was truly like beginning over, but with correct instruction. So many times I was going to quit (I was in tears, but I'm a girl).

The problem is not that we are old to start with, but that we have an adult's outlook. One would think that this view of the situation would be one of wisdom, but no...we know what Heifitz, Bell, etc., sound like, and we ridiculously compare ourselves to them. Kids just saw away and are happy.

Again, you are completely correct that playing the violin is impossible. I don't believe for a minute that Midori is really playing like that - it is done with mirrors and good sound men Wink but I keep on trying, and by gum, I do seem to get a little better as time goes by. Not enough time left to get really good - you are correct there, too, but in a way, so what? If one can play well enough to get any pleasure out of it, it is worth it to some.

I think your post is interesting and thought-provoking. Just try not to let it get you down, until you give it more of a try than you think you should. Good luck!!

Shirley
ollieken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Was Dertermined to learn Reply with quote

Shirley You are right electronic gagets & Instruments out to get us this computer is one but i won out
Now the instuments I was doing not too bad them a van ran me down took the left elbow out of joint .
hard to get the arm under the neck now .
I healed , & back to learning to play again then I was using a hand grinder & the disk shattered tore up three fingers on the left hand had to have skin grafts lucky did not cut the cords ,Went back to the guitar played with two fingers got the fingers going again back to the fiddle

I can play over 50 old time tunes on the fiddle play guitar & mandolin.
If I would have sat back & said poor me i will never learn I would still be sitting there feeling sorry for my self you have to have your mind made up that you are going to learn
I am 67 & getting a lot enjoyment with this kind of music .

I know it is hard for some folks to learn, Today there are so many things to help with learning dvd cd
U Tube this forum for good advice By the way the fingers makes the note the bow makes the music Just keep at it Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken.. I always thought you were a young buck... Now I know!.. maybe there is hope for me yet. I just seem to get into the rut of spending extreme time on the fixing and restoration side.... no wonder I can't play!!
Cheers, Smile Mat
Shirley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken - Holy Moly! You tell 'em - all of us. You are living proof of the maxim, "Just do it." Act as though you can't fail. I'll try to keep that foremost in mind.

And I love wht you said - "The left hand makes the notes, the right hand makes the music." Wonderful! Thanks.

And wow - no more belly-achin' from me! Thanks so much for your post, and continued good luck!

Shirley
ollieken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: shirley & Mat Reply with quote

Shirley Thank you for the kind words . Folks have to remember that a all of great players made all the strange noise as anyone learning As you know trying to make a living get`s in the way & time moves on & all at once you say 50 yr`s ago
We have little ones that comes to our group six Years & up that can play up a storm they cant wait to get up on stage & show us old people how it`s done . A pleasure to watch & listen to .

Mat Roop Don't wait too long with your playing. Time wont wait & soon you will be in the same club as us old foggies & sitting in your rocking chair smoking your pipe is not going to be a good place for you to practice hee hee hee or did you stop having birthdays. I will check with Larry on that!!
By the way At last getting over the run down feeling now Have a good day all Ken
kel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat Roop wrote:
here is the link... the chap must have been some determined... must be from New Brunswick!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYmqC5XznEw

My godness, what a GREAT player!!!
admire his courage and effort put into practising and playing violin this way

An excellent example of a model player
kel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verdi, cannot agree with your view

Age should not be a factor to deter you to learn and play violin
Key factor : Do u have passion for it? If yes, every moment you play violin you have your reward
mshikibu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it can be expensive, and you do need to find a teacher who enjoys working with adults. But I have lots of adult students who learn the instrument quite well and get a lot of enjoyment from it.

It's like "following a path with heart": you can use violin study to help examine the history of man, the philosophy of art, and learn all kinds of lessons about patience and about yourself. Adults can learn a very great deal about music theory and history, and they can develop their playing skills to quite a high level.
BillD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Violin is Impossible Reply with quote

Well, Verdi, you have received some feedback, and I think I'll leave you some more... think of it as food for thought.

Verdi wrote:
Hi, just wanted to throw out a comment for some feedback.

1. It takes years before you are good enough to solo. If you just want to fiddle on the back porch or for your own enjoyment then go ahead. But if you are hoping to do solo gigs and you are already old, in 5 years you will be that much older. I personally don't want to be up in front of everybody being old making my solo debut on the violin.

As opposed to letting 5 years go and NOT learning? Once the 5 years passes (which as an adult, you should know isn't all that long!)

2. It's hard to find a teacher who knows how to teach adults. Most Suzuki teachers revert to the childish "Mississippi stop stop" lingo that I don't think adults can relate to.

Suzuki is a method... usually aimed at children, but the concepts do translate over to anyone. If you have no background in music (and many adults do not) it works well to teach you the rhythm pattern (short, short, short, short, long, long or four 1/8th notes and two half notes).

3. I don't think Suzuki is for adults that are already musicians on other instruments. Adults that already know music would better profit from another teaching method.

Maybe... but your teacher should be the judge of that. If an adult student has problems relating, the problem may not be the method. Remember, a method is merely a means to an end... not an end into itself. Once you master the basics, you can move onto more "adult" methods.

4. Violin is so impossible to learn. It's all body english. It's not like any other instrument. In learning piano you can play a chord and you've got the sound. In guitar you can strum a chord and you've got the sound. And everytime you return to the piano or guitar you can get the same sound. With violin the notes are only in the same place if your hand is in the same place.

Ah, but playing the guitar is difficult, even with frets. Piano is the same (and you have to learn the bass clef as well as the treble clef!) AND you have to learn how to play melody as well as harmony, play two (or three) melody lines at the same time and not always in the same timing. As for body english, all of those instruments you name require it. I've played both of them (and still do) before taking up the violin... and I am NOT a professional or classically trained musician.

With violin it's different everytime. Maybe you'll get the tone today and maybe you won't. Violin all depends on how you stand, or how you hold your arm, or how you hold your fingers, or how you hold your head, or your rosin, or your strings, or your bridge..............

Like ALL musical instruments it's different every time. It's all about consistency. Even if you play the oboe. Definitely it's true about guitar and piano as well as vocals (trust me on this...)

5. The industry caters to youth. There's a Teen Strings magazine but not a Senior Strings magazine. Older people that are featured in magazines are usually long time players.

Ever seen any of the guitar magazines out there? Guess what... they ALL cater to youth. Piano is the same thing. Young people do comprise the majority of players. So what? You are an adult... and you are old enough to not require being catered to all the time. Although I think that maybe a magazine could find an audience among us older beginners...

6. It is very expensive. You need a good setup. Now that I'm at the point of upgrading from my beginning setup I don't have the money. Lessons are easily $200.00 a month plus the payment on a professional setup is prohibitive. So I am stuck with my student setup.

Guess what? Pianos are not exactly cheap. A concert-grade Steinway (D) runs over $100 grand. A good guitar is priced in the thousands. Acoustic pianos need tuning (at at least $75.00) at least twice a year, guitars need to be set up as well ($50~$75) and if you change strings it needs to be done all over again. And the lesson price is average whether it's guitar, violin, piano, or whatever... you might consider taking half-hour lessons though.

All in all, my experience is that violin is best done when learned young. It can be done when you are over 50 but it's very frustrating because it takes so long to get it to sound like a violin.

It is best done learned young, but then you aren't young anymore. Neither am I (I'm hitting 60 this year). But that doesn't mean you CAN'T learn at an older age. You just have to work at it.

There are many other instruments that can be more easily enjoyed than violin.

They ALL require work. Yes, you can play a chord on a guitar and never do anything else, but that gets old after a very short time. Yes, I can pick out a melody on a guitar or piano, but that won't make me play like Paganinni or Rachmaniov or Hendirx. That requires work... at any age.

I love it but it seems un-doable, impractical, and futile at this point.

Just my thoughts. Thank you for reading.

I think that a lack of visible progress may well be due to excessive expectations. An adult cannot spend the time mastering an instrument that he or she could as a child. But as an adult, you do NOT need to be coerced into practicing as many children do. The rewards are there... you just have to look for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: