Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for old thread/topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack H.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: looking for old thread/topic Reply with quote

pictures of Michael Darnton's purfling cutter.
Also link to his site where the pictures of that tool is.

Muchas appreciado!
ollieken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Hi Jack Reply with quote

http://darntonviolins.com/purfling-machine/

Hope this is what you are looking for His site address is at the bottom of the page
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
violinarius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find this page with Croen's purfling machine worth a view.

http://www.tomcroenviolins.com/new_page_7.htm
Tim McTigue

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

violinarius wrote:
You might find this page with Croen's purfling machine worth a view.

http://www.tomcroenviolins.com/new_page_7.htm

$175??? Holy cow! MD made his own, and I bet it didn't cost him $20. I've seen him comment that if one can't make such a simple tool, one probably shouldn't be trying to make a violin, which is much more complex. I haven't made one, yet, but if I want one, I'd certainly rather make one than buy one...
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the snazzy version of the page:
http://darntonviolins.com/purflingmachine.php

My tool is derived from the one they made in the early 80s at the W.H. Lee shop in Chicago. I believe it predates any of the commercial ones by quite a bit--in the shop at the time it was a state secret. I just took the things I didn't like about the Lee machine, and fixed them. Number one was all of the sharp metal edges, which are uncomfortable for a purfle-newbie holding the tool in a deathgrip. The Lee one was piloted off the bench; mine off the plate, which makes it easier to enter and exit the cuts.

When I shared a shop for a while with Chris Germain, we made him a copy of mine, and I suspect the idea might have then spread from him. That would have been in 1992 or so.

The only "cost" for mine is the handpiece, dental floss, scrap wood, and a piece of brass rod and a screw. The hard part is filing the fence piece out of brass--I think that took about 1/2 hour. The handle is made from a square block of wood with one corner cut out by two tablesaw cuts, the result being similar to angle-iron, but made of wood. The handpiece is placed within the angle, and then everything that isn't handle is removed.
Jack H.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. That is what I was looking for.
ollieken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Purfuling Motar Reply with quote

Tim Can you tell me where you can get that motor for the bit for $20 bucks can you get them in your part of the Country ? Dremels
are too small to take the bit & they wont have the power . Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
byacey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Purfuling Motar Reply with quote

ollieken wrote:
Tim Can you tell me where you can get that motor for the bit for $20 bucks can you get them in your part of the Country ? Dremels

I doubt you'll find a motor set up for this purpose with a chuck.

I would check around Princess Auto surplus aisles and find a series wound motor that will have appropriate power and speed.

You should be able to get a small chuck from a local machine shop supply house, but expect to have to drill an appropriate sized hole on a lathe to slide onto whatever shaft size the motor has.

How big a bit do you want to use in this? I have used a dremel and found it had plenty of power with a 3/32 bit if the bit is sharp.
Tim McTigue

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Purfuling Motar Reply with quote

ollieken wrote:

I was talking about the tool, not the motor. For me, the "tool" in this case is the wood-and-brass contraption that is mounted on the rotary tool to hold the bit at the exact depth and inset to correctly cut the purfling groove. All that's needed to make such a tool is a piece of hardwood and a small piece of brass. You could make one with found scraps. That's what I was referring to. Note that while the Tom Croen tool is quite a bit fancier, it still doesn't include any motor or anything for $175. It's designed to fit onto a Foredom handpiece attached to a Foredom flex shaft motor.

I'm sure you could rig up a tool like this for a Dremel, and it would work fine. You'd just need a properly-sized end mill bit, which are easy to find and not expensive. My Dremel tool also includes a flex shaft attachment, which I'm sure I could adapt to this purpose, and maybe I will, if I decide I'll be making more than a few violins...
ollieken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Motor Reply with quote

Ok No trouble to make the attachment I have a flex shaft for a couple dremals I have bits that the dentist use for teeth they work great
You can do detail work with them if you have a steady hand but watch your fingers Ha Ha I am going to look around for a motor about that
size Thanks Tim Ken
ollieken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Tool Reply with quote

Bryacey
The bit that i use is a Freud 04096 1/8 Good idea i am going in to princess auto tomorow & look around I have a dremel that will take the bit it is bigger than the one that has the flex shaft If i could find a flex shaft for that one that would fine . I have a friend that has a lathe so
i may come up with some thing better than what i have now .
http://albertcounty.com/fiddle/
This is what i use you have to work the
plate it makes a good grove if you dont forget to to move the plate & get off the line I put a rod up to the arm to lift it with my foot peddle
Ken
byacey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy carbide endmills from the machine shop supply houses that have a 1/8" shank and cut a 3/64ths" groove. Eclipse makes a pin chuck with different collets that will work for these bits. It has a 1/4" shank that can be drilled for a smaller motor shaft easily.
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find 1/8" shaft bits easily, Grizzly sells a very inexpensive flex shaft tool:
http://grizzly.com/products/Flex-Shaft-Grinder/G9928
This is what I use, but with a Foredom handpiece that takes larger bits (which does fit).

I found the same thing available from a Canadian supplier, too.
http://www.informulation.on.ca/A55770/cts.nsf/(AllByID)/5FD0F82CAF1D47CB86256F98005D4FCD!OpenDocument

.....OK, that doesn't seem to be working. I guess you'll have to cut and paste the entire link to get there. . .
ollieken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Motor Reply with quote

Michael
Thank you for the links I contaced the site in Toronto canada I waiting for a reply that motor & flex shaft would be great I asked if i can get just the flex shaft will post when i get reply & the price ken
ollieken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Motor with flex ahaft Reply with quote

Got a reply from supplier $ 64.95 CTS 1/3 Hp Flexible shaft Carve grinder It will take a 1/8 shank bit So with shipping & Tax a little less than $100 dollars
I will know in a week or so when i get it
E-mail: info@canadiantreasureseekers.com
Internet: www.canadiantreasureseekers.com
Ph 1-800-965-8470 Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: