Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning off "patina" from a bow rehair, thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alaina Toadpipe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Cleaning off "patina" from a bow rehair, thoughts? Reply with quote

I have recently rehaired a number of older and well used bows from students, collectors and regular players, and one of the things I always agonize over doing is the cleaning of the bow stick. Many of these bows have had unbelievable amounts of finger oil/rosin goo and my first inclination is to gently clean this and reseal with a french polish. I am quite accomplished at French polishing, so that is not my concearn, but what does worry me is: Does the build up, and subsequent "patina" on a bow value or devalue it? If I do a basic clean, and when necessary a bit of a reseal on the stick, will that in any way devalue the bow itself? My confusion comes from my understanding that these materials can damage the finish on the wood, and therefor open the wood up to undue wear and tear.
Jack H.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime I do a rehair I also do a thorough cleaning of the stick, frog and polish the silver.
Do not worry about removing the patina ( dirt and grease and oil and rosin build up and god knows what else)!!

It is the only proper thing to do.
There is not devaluation from removing the patina, true on some things there is a point of over-restoration but not in this.
A clean bow is a pleasure to use and to show.
French polish after.
Alaina Toadpipe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! This makes things so much easier to work on these bows. Thank you Smile
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets be clear... patina in wood is the chemical change in the surface of the wood caused by age and environment, and most evident by a change in color. You definitely do not want to remove patina... it will affect value!! Gunk and rosin and smoke condensate is not patina. Patina will not be removed by ordinary cleaning methods except bleaches, acidic and caustic cleaners. If you clean by scraping or sanding, then the patina will be removed... and that is not good.
Like Jack said...giving the bow a good cleaning is the right thing to do... although some shops always ask before they clean...some musicians are pretty finicky.
Cheers, Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: